dcsimg

Thread: Adding exe to project that uses sql database

Lively Member

Adding exe to project that uses sql database

Hi everyone, My project is complete apart from needing a separate exe that I have from another project.
    I have added the exe as an existing item, and it appears in the solution explorer along with the other files.

The exe application uses that same SQL database file that is in the main application.

When I run the main program (process.start("appname.exe")) and choose to run the added exe it opens the exe but cannot see the database.
    Is there a solution to this problem?

Re: Adding exe to project that uses sql database

How would we know? Do we know how that application determines what database to connect to? Do you?

Lively Member

Caustic as usual I see.
    Is it possible that you can remember, Not to reply to any of my posts.

You are free to ignore my posts if you so choose but I will continue to post where and as I see fit. Maybe, instead of cutting off your nose to spite your face, you could consider what you might gain from asking yourself those questions. Did you stop to think about what information might be relevant before posting? If not, why not? Will you continue to do the same thing in future or will you try to help yourself and us by considering what might be helpful first? If you did stop to think about it, why didn't it occur to you that how an application connects to a database would be relevant to a problem with that application connecting to a database? Will you try to change the way you approach problems to avoid missing such things in the future. You may not like the way I post but it doesn't mean I'm wrong or that the questions I posed aren't pertinent. You can refuse to consider what I posted because you don't want to let me think that you think I may be right but you'll only be hurting yourself if you don't address those points. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and you'll keep not being able to solve this problem. Your choice.

Lively Member

You are a Sanctimonious, arrogant, man, I suspect of a very narrow intellect, with no social skills.
    I see from your replies from other people’s post the same trend from you.
    One can only pity such a tormented sole.

Quote Originally Posted by Minch View Post
    You are a Sanctimonious, arrogant, man, I suspect of a very narrow intellect, with no social skills.
    Sanctimonious, arrogant and having no social skills are things that you could possibly derive from my posts, although the last one is a stretch when the only evidence you have is some forum posts. You give the game away with the "narrow intellect" comment though. Cutting off your nose to spite your face it is then. Clearly learning something from me is too high a price to to for learn.

By the way, it's "soul". Yes, that one's a troll.

I suspect of a very narrow intellect, with no social skills.
    you just pointed out the two most Important skills a Programmer should have
    with no social skills ..that means IMO ...talking to the Client and other people... to get all the needs and best possible solution for there Software-Programm
    and then you need the intellect to turn that into a good Software-Program

I don't know how long Jmc is in the buisness, but anybody that can make a living out of
    Programming will need those skill's (99,99% sure Jmc is making a living with Programming)

my 2 cent's
    Last edited by ChrisE; Aug 8th, 2019 at 05:28 AM.
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Hi everyone, My project is complete apart from needing a separate exe that I have from another project.
    I have added the exe as an existing item, and it appears in the solution explorer along with the other files.

The exe application uses that same SQL database file that is in the main application.

When I run the main program (process.start("appname.exe")) and choose to run the added exe it opens the exe but cannot see the database.
    Is there a solution to this problem?
    How would we know? I don't know where this rumor started or who keeps perpetuating it, but I wish it would stop. We are not mind readers, and my crystal ball is broken. We can't see you code, none of us are sitting in your lap, so we can't see what you're seeing. You haven't really given us anything to go by. All I got was there's two apps, one in the other, and a database somewhere that one of them can't see. What about the other, can it see it? Are hte connection strings the same? There's a lot of variables and info that.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Minch, while jmcilhinney is more abrasive than we would like, he does have valid reasons for writing the things he does. As you can see a few posts later, we can't help you yet because we still don't know the things he initially asked about.

Responding with personal attacks is not a sensible thing to do, as it not only does it reduce the chances of one of the best helpers being nice to you, but it also persuades many other people to not help you (in this thread, and other posts you make later). In addition to that, being abusive towards others (even if you think it is justified) is against the rules of the site (see the "Acceptable Use Policy" link at the bottom of all pages on this site).

You don't pay anyone here to give up their time to help you, so even tho you aren't getting helped in exactly the way you want, you are getting much better than what you are paying for.

Please try to be polite, even if you feel you have been provoked.

Many times (especially when I just come to vbforums) I was feeling that I want to slap JMC I now know that many, many things I would not have been able to do if it was not for him. I have learned to respect him even though some days I still want to slap him!!

John has his own way. You have to accept that. You can learn a lot from him...

There are a handful of guys here, I can name them.. They are always here, helping people.. They are not getting paid for doing this. They are not getting paid for their time and knowledge.

Before I became a member of vbforums I needed to make a program to manage some word documents in vb. So I found this guy in India, his name was Ravindra. So he charge me $300 and send me something that was not what I wanted...

Here are people that help you.. For FREE... and throwing personal, uncalled for and hurting insults at them is shocking. (not that I think it hurt JMC - his skin too thick!)

I think at the end of the day beggars can't be choosers...
    Don't miss the whole point of the dance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHnIJeE3LAI

Quote Originally Posted by schoemr View Post
    some days I still want to slap him!!
    Nice to know that I haven't lost it.