dcsimg

Thread: Grid

Fanatic Member

Grid

Hi

How to convert below code to Vb.net . I am using 64bit . I don't want to use reference VisualBasic.Compatilbility

With grd1

.Width = VB6.TwipsToPixelsX(VB6.PixelsToTwipsX(Width) - VB6.PixelsToTwipsX(pic1.Width) - 320)
    .Height = VB6.TwipsToPixelsY(VB6.PixelsToTwipsY(Height) - VB6.PixelsToTwipsY(.Top) - 500)
    End With

Thanks

Re: Grid

Twips were a variable-size measurement, and how many twips were in a pixel depended on things outside of your program (such as DPI settings of the monitor), but 15 was a common value.

In .Net the standard measurement is Pixels, so you should just use pixel values instead.

This should produce the same results, or at least close to it:
    Code:
    With grd1
       .Width = Width - pic1.Width - 21
       .Height = Height - .Top - 33
    End With
    ...however this might not be the best way to do things, it may be better for you to use the Anchor properties of controls instead. There is a good explanation here: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...matic-Resizing

As far as I know, .NET no longer uses twips, but pixels ... so ...
    Code:
    .width = Width - pic1.Width - 320
    .Height = Height - 500
    Bottom line, you no longer need to the pixel -> twips -> translations ... but I'm not sure about the -320 and -500 now as I see those are applied after the twip calculations, so those are in twips, which means they need to be recalculated to new values for the new units.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

Hi

in my code there is -320in first line & -500 in second line

In yours -21 & 33 why.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jagjit View Post
    Hi

in my code there is -320in first line & -500 in second line

In yours -21 & 33 why.

Thanks

This is why:

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    In .Net the standard measurement is Pixels, so you should just use pixel values instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I see those are applied after the twip calculations, so those are in twips, which means they need to be recalculated to new values for the new units.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I based 21 and 33 on the assumption of 15 twips per pixel: 320/15 is about 21, and 500/15 is about 33.

Fanatic Member

Hi si_the_geek

In below line there is TwipsToPixelsX & PixelsToTwipsX. Wht is the difference.

.Width = VB6.TwipsToPixelsX(VB6.PixelsToTwipsX(Width) - VB6.PixelsToTwipsX(pic1.Width) - 320)

according to your code i get values 488 , 697. Whereas in vb6 i get values 509,706

Thanks
    Last edited by Jagjit; Aug 7th, 2019 at 09:02 AM.

TwipsToPixelsX converts a value in Twips to the equivalent value in Pixels.

PixelsToTwipsX converts a value in Pixels to the equivalent value in Twips.

As they do the opposite to each other, this line:
    Code:
    ...is a long-winded and slow way of doing this:
    Code:
    .Width = Width - pic1.Width - VB6.TwipsToPixelsX(320)

Quote Originally Posted by Jagjit View Post
    according to your code i get values 488 , 697. Whereas in vb6 i get values 509,706
    That is the magic of Twips... we can only guess what values each computer will get (and the X values might be on a different scale to the Y values).

What actually matters is how it looks, and that is easier to get right using the pixel values. Adjust the 21 and 33 so that it looks right to you - or just use Anchor as I suggested before.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Aug 7th, 2019 at 09:09 AM.