I guess a long time ago, before IIF was invented (or available to us), my fellow developer wrote his own iif function that went like this:

Code:
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
-- =============================================
-- Create date: 8-May-2015
-- Description:	Returns value 1 for True and Value 2 for false
-- =============================================
ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[fn_IIF] 
(
	-- Add the parameters for the function here
	@Test1 varchar(max),
	@Test2 varchar(max),
	@ReturnTrue varchar(max),
	@ReturnFalse varchar(max)
)
RETURNS varchar(max)
AS
BEGIN
	-- Declare the return variable here
	DECLARE @Result varchar(max)

-- Add the T-SQL statements to compute the return value here
	IF @Test1 = @Test2
	BEGIN
		SET @Result = @ReturnTrue
	END
	ELSE
	BEGIN
		SET @Result = @ReturnFalse
	END

-- Return the result of the function
	RETURN @Result

END
It's been just about a year ago that he said, "I wrote IIF for SQL 2005, I think there’s now a similar included function in TSQL anyway". I am just now getting around to eliminating his homegrown function and using SQL's.

Is this just a syntax error or you can't use this function (any function) within a view?

Code:
ALTER VIEW [dbo].[qryP21_ImpactReport2]
AS
SELECT        TOP (100) PERCENT ... 

--dbo.fn_IIF(ISNULL(P21.dbo.p21_view_document_line_serial.serial_number, ''), '', CONVERT(decimal(18, 0), P21.dbo.p21_view_invoice_line.qty_shipped), 1) AS Quantity, 
						 IIF( ISNULL(P21.dbo.p21_view_document_line_serial.serial_number, '') = '',  CONVERT(decimal(18, 0), P21.dbo.p21_view_invoice_line.qty_shipped) ) AS Quantity, 
When I try to alter this view, I get Incorrect syntax near ')' and it is pointing to the close paren right before AS Quantity. I am pretty sure my parens are lined up so I am not sure what is wrong, unless I simply can't do this.

Thank You.