dcsimg

Thread: Error when adding fields to MailMerge

Error when adding fields to MailMerge

VB is throwing the following error. I've researched but cannot find an answer. Every example for MailMerge uses this.

Name:  MMERROR.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  21.2 KB

Re: Error when adding fields to MailMerge

Are you sure that's HOW they used it? Or was it used slightly differently? Can you post a link to an example where you saw it used? (or more than one).

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

The examples have it like this

Code:
                .Add oApp.Selection.Range, "Contact_Name"
                oApp.Selection.TypeParagraph
    However, that will not compile.

Link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...mailing-labels
    Last edited by PMHA; Aug 6th, 2019 at 09:26 AM.

So if the example was this:
    Code:
    .Add oApp.Selection.Range, "Contact_Name"
    Why are you doing this:
    Code:
    .Add (oApp.Selection.Range, "Contact_Name")
    Because that changes how the call is made...

-tg
    Also... in the future, when you post code, post code using the [code][/code] tags... don't post screenshots... 1) the forum does funny things with images and 2) it makes it hard to read and we can't copy it for example purposes.
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

As I said. That format will not compile. Throws this error:

'Method arguments must be enclosed in parentheses'

Ahhh... I get it now... that's because the example on that page is VB6... not .NET ... You need to add references to the InterOp objects for Word in order to make things work. You'll then get the advantages of early binding and the calls will work once corrected (such as adding parenthesis where needed). Search for .NET MS Office interop ... that should help you get in the right direction.

-tg

Yep. I figured it out. Added proper reference to Word.Interops.

Thanks for help.

Ok. Now the issue is that it does not print correctly for Avery 5160. Apparently there us some mfr code I need but I can't find it anywhere.

What I need is the value to use in VB. That link is for creating it directly in word.

value to use in VB
    There is no "value" to use. Automating Word to do the printing is the easy way to go. If you want the hard way - in case Word is not available - here are some possibly useful links:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...hipping-Labels

https://www.neodynamic.com/ND/FaqsTi...rodid=0&sid=99

Of course there is a value. The AVERY number goes in the name attribute. Apparently, there is a problem with the 5160 in VB. There is supposed to be a value that will make it correct. That is what I am needing.

Code:
            oApp.MailingLabel.CreateNewDocument(Name:="5160", Address:="", AutoText:="MyLabelLayout", LaserTray:=Nothing)