dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Folder structure

Resolved [RESOLVED] Folder structure

1) I used the following to setup a Function: Return Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData), "FDS", "FDSPro", filename)

2) This causes the following error: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: 'Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\FDS\FDSPro\FileStartup.txt'.'

FileStartup is the first file to be read.
    3) If I use the following instead: Return Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData), filename)
    Everything works OK except that all of the files are placed in the: User\Admin\AppData\Local folder.
    I would like the additional folders added so that it resembles other installed Apps. More professional.

Can anybody help with this please
    NB: My App ensures that ALL of the files needed are created using Try/Catch/EndTry...thanks all, Paul

Re: Folder structure

The directories aren't there unless you create them.
    A more professional app would create the directories you need if they don't exist...

Code:
    If Not IO.Directory.Exists(IO.Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData), "FDS")) Then
        IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(IO.Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData), "FDS"))
        IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(IO.Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData), "FDS\FDSPro"))
        'write FileStartup.txt here
    End If

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    The directories aren't there unless you create them.
    A more professional app would create the directories you need if they don't exist...

Code:
    If Not IO.Directory.Exists(IO.Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData), "FDS")) Then
        IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(IO.Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData), "FDS"))
        IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(IO.Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData), "FDS\FDSPro"))
        'write FileStartup.txt here
    End If
    Would I then use: Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData), "FDS\FDSPro", filename) in order for my App to know where Windows has put them? I only learned about this yesterday...I am a newbie trying to learn so I would appreciate all the help you can give me, thanks. Paul

OK, figured it out...thanks

Re: [RESOLVED] Folder structure

Simply, Yes. Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData) returns the variable part. You yourself know what directory structure you've created and what you've put in those folders