dcsimg

Thread: testtest

testtest

testtest
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Re: testtest

quickreply
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

asdfasdfasdf

Dealing with random numbers is never as straightforward as people think. And when you want them from a skewed distribution, it gets even more complex.

Therefore, if you're truly wanting what you suggest, the first order of business is to figure out from which skewed distribution you're pulling your random number: Poisson, Gauss with a skew value, logarithmic, etc. There are many to choose from. Possibly you even want to bracket part of one of those skewed curves. And, from there, you can start devising your algorithm to always sum to a specific value.

Also, you will need to decide if the Rnd function is good enough for you, or whether you wish to use the more robust CryptGenRandom (or other) API call (where you get more robust random numbers). And, again, in any of those cases, the results will need to be transformed such that they come from your skewed distribution.

-----------

Dealing with random numbers is never as straightforward as people think. And when you want them from a skewed distribution, it gets even more complex.

Good Luck,
    Elroy

Ok, just seeing this. First, and foremost, 30 numbers ranging from 1 to 6 will never be

be Uniform Random (which is what I believe you're suggesting).

. They can be Skewed Random, which pulls us

us into an entirely different area. For a set number of integers (say 30) with a specific range (say 1 to 6) to have

have a Uniform Random distribution, the mid-point of the range (3.5) times the number of integers (30) must equal the total your after ...

3.5 * 30 = 105 (not 100).

(not 100).

after ... and 3.5 times 30 = 105

Ok, just seeing this. First, and foremost, 30 numbers ranging from 1 to 6 will never be Uniform Random (which is what I believe you're suggesting). They can be Skewed Random, which pulls us into an entirely different area. For a set number of integers (say 30) with a specific range (say 1 to 6) to have a Uniform Random distribution, the mid-point of the range (3.5) times the number of integers (30) must equal the total your after ... and 3.5 times 30 = 105 (not 100).

Therefore, if you're truly wanting what you suggest, the first order of business is to figure out from which skewed distribution you're pulling your random number: Poisson, Gauss with a skew value, logarithmic, etc. There are many to choose from. Possibly you even want to bracket part of one of those skewed curves. And, from there, you can start devising your algorithm to always sum to a specific value.

Also, you will need to decide if the Rnd function is good enough for you, or whether you wish to use the more robust CryptGenRandom (or other) API call (where you get more robust random numbers). And, again, in any of those cases, the results will need to be transformed such that they come from your skewed distribution.

-----------

Good Luck,
    Elroy