dcsimg

Thread: Focus the last line of the multiline text box vb6

Focus the last line of the multiline text box vb6

Dear friends,
    I have a text box with "multiline" and the "vertical scroll bar" enabled. I am populating the row of records in the text box. Everything is ok but the focus is always stayed on top records. I have to scroll down to bottom manually by pulling down the scroll bar to see the latest records arrived. I want to show the latest records on the text box automatically.
    How can I achieve that?

Thank you all
    Vibrant

Lively Member

Re: Focus the last line of the multiline text box vb6

Quote Originally Posted by pmk1969 View Post
    I want to show the latest records on the text box automatically.
    Actually it's not the focus you are talking about but the cursor position.

Try like this:
    Code:
    Text1.SelStart = Len(Text1.Text)
    HTH Wolfgang

Add a SendMessage Text1.hWnd, WM_VSCROLL, SB_BOTTOM, ByVal 0& if this is a RichTextBox or InkEdit to actually scroll the view -- these beasts are more stubborn :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

If you want the 'latest records' to be displayed, why not put them on TOP (reverse your query to your DB)?

NORMALLY, I would put the most recent records in a ML textbox, listbox, listview (or whatever) as the first records, not the last. You CAN, however, do as wqw states, but maybe better logic says put the latest record on top, the oldest on the bottom (and of course, all sorted likewise in between).

Here's a little function I sometimes use for this stuff:

Code:

Option Explicit
    '
    Private Declare Function SendMessageW Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal uMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByRef lParam As Any) As Long
    '

Private Sub Form_Click()
        out(Text1) = "asdf"
        out(Text1, True) = "qwer-"
        out(Text1) = "rewq"
        out(Text1) = "----" & Format$(Rnd) & "----"
    End Sub

Private Property Let out(txt As VB.TextBox, Optional bHoldLine As Boolean, s As String)
        Const EM_SETSEL = &HB1
        Const EM_REPLACESEL = &HC2
        '
        SendMessageW txt.hWnd, EM_SETSEL, &H7FFFFFFF, ByVal &H7FFFFFFF          ' txt.SelStart = &H7FFFFFFF
        If bHoldLine Then
            SendMessageW txt.hWnd, EM_REPLACESEL, 0, ByVal StrPtr(s)            ' txt.SelText = s
        Else
            SendMessageW txt.hWnd, EM_REPLACESEL, 0, ByVal StrPtr(s)            ' txt.SelText = s
            SendMessageW txt.hWnd, EM_SETSEL, &H7FFFFFFF, ByVal &H7FFFFFFF      ' txt.SelStart = &H7FFFFFFF
            SendMessageW txt.hWnd, EM_REPLACESEL, 0, ByVal StrPtr(vbCrLf)       ' txt.SelText = vbCrLf
        End If
    End Property

It has the added advantage that you can append text to the end of the textbox MUCH faster than doing a concatenation of the .Text property each time.

To use, just put the above code into a Form1, throw a Text1 onto that form and set it's MultiLine property to true. Also add a vertical scrollbar to the Text1 if you like.

It works particularly well if it's a locked (view only) textbox. Someday I should look at some of LaVolpe's work and make it full Unicode for view only.

And it keeps the carat at the end.

Enjoy,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Aug 5th, 2019 at 09:50 AM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.