dcsimg

Thread: .NET 64 bits add-in Outlook accessing a 32bits MS Access DB

Hyperactive Member

.NET 64 bits add-in Outlook accessing a 32bits MS Access DB

Well.
    This is my first post in the .NET section.
    Usually I am in VB6.

I have a VB6 application (32 bits) that use a 32 bits MS Access DB.

I first wrote an add-in in VB6 to access data from the database, and all was Okay.

Then, I migrated this outlook add-in to VB.NET accessing the 32 bits database.
    All is working like a charm with Outlook 32 bits.

But with Outlook 64 bits, it is not working as there is a problem to access the 32 bits DB.

So my question is how could I do to access from a 64 bits process a 32 bits Access DB?

I could write a kind of communication using a 32 bits process (wich will do the call to the DB) called by the 64 bits one, and retrieving the data, but it is not the optimal solution.

And fainally, of course, I don't have any comptuer wich is 100% 64 bits (including office), so I am downloading the VMWare from MS with all already configured to do more tests.

Thanks a lot for your help

Re: .NET 64 bits add-in Outlook accessing a 32bits MS Access DB

There's no such thing as a 32-bit Access database. The issue is the provider used to connect to the database. If you use the old Jet OLE DB provider then there is only a 32-bit version, so 64-bit apps are out of luck. The ACE OLE DB provider comes in 32-bit and 64-bit versions and, if you have 64-bit Outlook, then the 64-bit version should already be installed. Note that Jet can only connect to old file formats, e.g. MDB and XLS, whereas ACE can connect to new formats too, e.g. ACCDB and XLSX.

Hyperactive Member

Re: .NET 64 bits add-in Outlook accessing a 32bits MS Access DB

I finally made sucessfully the connection under Terminal Server to the Access DB with the right Access Engine.
    So now, full 64 bits Outlook Addin working. But still a few things to fix.

Thanks