dcsimg

Thread: The Expanse: Renewed for season 5

PowerPoster

Thumbs up The Expanse: Renewed for season 5

Great news came out today and we haven't even seen Season 4 yet: Nice to hear we'll get a Season 5 as well next year.

Season 4 Teaser:

If you haven't watched the first 3 seasons I envy you having that first-time-through experience ahead of you yet.

Unlike other fiction franchises The Expanse has been drama-free, dealing with sensitive issues like diversity in a natural and organic manner.

PowerPoster

Re: The Expanse: Renewed for season 5

Note that this show is a series of intertwined mysteries, so be careful to avoid spoilers if you enjoy playing along as you go. The Teaser above doesn't spill very much so watching it should be safe.

PowerPoster

Good to hear. I watched the first two seasons then moved on. I enjoyed the show, think I'll go back and refresh my memory on the story then watch season 3 and 4.

PowerPoster

Oh wow, Season 3 was fantastic. Questions get answers, new ones arise, and everything just gets bigger and bigger. Tension and action ramps up a notch all the way through, so if you're more into that you'll probably love Season 3.

But it is probably a smart idea to do a 1 & 2 refresh before beginning on 3. People often pick up on a lot more detail upon rewatching the early episodes too.

Many haven't had time to give this show a chance yet, so I try to avoid spoilers. To give it a fair chance though you almost have to see the first major story arc all the way through to S2E5.

This isn't Picard sipping tea waving his pinky in the air at Q. It is probably a bit too rough for children, mainly due to some creepy and gory events here and there.

I'm a little worried about how they will handle season 4. The book it is based on (Caliban's war I think) was by far the worst in the series (so far, I'm only about halfway through Persepolis Rising) -- I know a few people who lost all steam and stopped reading because of it. It just felt like a lot of the same plot points and dynamics as the previous book and nothing really advanced. Hopefully season 4 handles things like the first 2 seasons and mix-mashes in 2 books at once.

However, I can't wait until Season 5 as things are definitely going to kick up a gear.

PowerPoster

I worry about the impact of the delay. Season 4 release is 20 months after Season 3, and such things make a difference to audiences. Hardcore fans have watched the 1st 3 seasons multiple times now. The transition may prove jarring to those who don't hang on character portrayals because pretty much everything else is likely to shift radically.

Not that things weren't a lot different among the 1st 3 seasons but 4 may not feel like the same story. It hasn't been integrated in viewers' minds the same way the others have.

If we're also facing a story constructed from an unpopular book... well, ouch. That might very well thin the audience out. I'm not sure they can afford that. The directions taken by other franchises have seriously eroded their marketability. If The Expanse goes that way too it could be a perfect storm for them.

Unfortunate for me that they moved it to Prime and I don't have a prime account
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by GaryMazzone View Post
    Unfortunate for me that they moved it to Prime and I don't have a prime account
    How is that possible??? How do you survive without free 2 day shipping? Do you actually leave your house and go shopping? That's barbaric!!!

PowerPoster

Well I looked at it the other way back then: I had no SyFy Channel so without Amazon I'd never see this show.

This issue exists no matter where a show is. We can't all afford the Platinum Edition Cable package plus every subscription based streaming service too so most of us will miss out on things.

There is always the DVD/Blu-ray option. Sadly rentals have mostly faded away aside from those handled by public libraries. Even they are moving toward streaming content delivery.

I figure I pay for a cable bundle and one streaming service (doing Netflix right now). No movie services in the cable bundle.

Yeah I know that is hard to live with (no 2 day from Amazon) so I go to Wal-Mart and get free 2 day most of the time to the things I need.
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

I've cut the cable at our house... All we have is the ATT Fiber, which is fantastic.. cheaper and faster than Spectrum. We have a subscription to Hulu live, Amazon Prime, and Netflix... between those three and Pluto TV, we pretty much get everything we want. The only thing i'm missing out of all that is the BBCA, which only hurts when Dr Who comes out.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I've cut the cable at our house...
    I have an image of you there with a set of Shears cutting through a big old cable ...

I too have Amazon & Netflix and i am with Virgin for TV & Internet which is cable, and i am considering getting rid of the TV as they keep upping the price or even leaving completely and getting my internet somewhere else, subscriptions seem to me to be the way to go...

we dont get Hulu over here though is it any good ?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I have an image of you there with a set of Shears cutting through a big old cable ...
    Close.... hehehe... that's almost what happened when I got rid of DirecTv some time back when we were living in Nebraska. We went on vacation for three weeks, knowing that the DVR was taping all our shows while we were gone. When we got back, we found that they had pushed an update the day after we left, necessitating a recalibration and so nothing record for the entire time! I called them up that afternoon and told them to pick up their junk.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    we dont get Hulu over here though is it any good ?
    It works for us... we get most of the local channels, except the CW (which I don't care about) and ABC (but I can get their shows the next day On Demand) ... plus most of the basic cable channels we watch, so for us it's worth it, and it's cheaper than the cable companies comparable tiered subscription rate.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

There's a lot of jockeying for position in television right now.

People like Micheal Dell have gone around buying up rural OTA broadcast stations then closing them and selling the bandwidth back to the FCC to be auctioned off for non-television purposes.

Many OTA broadcast holding companies owning many stations are demanding a bigger cut from rebroadcasters and as a result for many viewers stations are blacked out on their intermediary (cable, etc.) until disputes can be resolved. I'm not sure what might be driving that unless they also want to sell off bandwidth and pull down antenna towers, then need more revenue as their audience shrinks when they leave the broadcast market that advertisers rely on.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I too have Amazon & Netflix and i am with Virgin for TV & Internet which is cable, and i am considering getting rid of the TV
    I took TV when I got Virgin but only because it actually made the broadband cheaper due to the introductory offer. I literally never watch it as every single channel is available on FreeView. The offer runs out soon so, unless they make some sort of similar offer, the TV will be going.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

When I watched Season 3 it wasn't "free with Prime" and I had no SyFy on cable so I had to pay for the privilege separately. The cable is now long cut, and most pay streaming services want a lot more per month/year than Amazon so for now I get by with that. But how many hours of TV do you need each day anyway?

This was interesting, most of the fandom doesn't want to go near the topics discussed in it:

Perhaps some feel their descendants will come out top dogs in the future UN Empire. For most the best they can hope for is to end up on Basic instead of among the Undocumented.