dcsimg

Thread: Method 'Text' of object 'IInkEdit' failed

Hyperactive Member

Method 'Text' of object 'IInkEdit' failed

I have an InkEdit control array with only one instance of it placed on the form at design time, and then the rest of them loaded at runtime.
    After loading about 412 instances and showing something into their Text properties, the next instance fails to show the string, and instead, it issues a run-time error:
    Code:
    Run-time error: -2147467259
    Method 'Text' of object 'IInkEdit' failed
    Here is the code:
    Code:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
       Dim i        As Long

For i = 0 To 500
          txtFileNum.Text = "" & i

If i > 0 Then
             Load txtFileName(i)
          End If

txtFileName(i).Text = "Num " & i                 '  This line gives me the error
          txtFileName(i).Visible = True

Next i

End Sub
    I don't know why this happens. It is quite unexpected.
    How can I get around this?
    Thanks.

Re: Method 'Text' of object 'IInkEdit' failed

Error code -2147467259 is also E_ACCESSDENIED.

Out of curiosity, if you don't set the .Text property, do you still get the error? Thinking that the control may be blocking setting its text property until it is fully initialized, internally? Just a guess.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Error code -2147467259 is also E_ACCESSDENIED.

Out of curiosity, if you don't set the .Text property, do you still get the error? Thinking that the control may be blocking setting its text property until it is fully initialized, internally? Just a guess.
    I commented out that line that sets the Text property of the InkEdit box. Also changed the loop to go through 2000 times instead of 500 times:
    Code:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
       Dim i        As Long

For i = 0 To 2000
          txtFileNum.Text = "" & i
          txtFileNum.Refresh

If i > 0 Then
             Load txtFileName(i)
          End If

'txtFileName(i).Text = "Num " & i                 '  This line gives me the error
          txtFileName(i).Visible = True

Next i

End Sub
    It no longer gives me that error.
    However, after the loop goes through 978 times, the program suddenly breaks (as if I had set a breakpoint).
    I have not set a break point, but it THINKS there is a break point on this line:
    Code:
             Load txtFileName(i)
    Very strange

What may appear strange to readers is the need for 500 to 2000 textbox like controls.

Here's another test you can try. If it does not cause an error, then I'd say that error you got is a timing thing... The control needs time to setup internally before you can set the text. Maybe it also depends on what some of the control's property settings are too.

Step 1. Run your initial loop to create 500 controls, without setting the text property
    Step 2. In another button, waiting a few seconds after all the controls are loaded.. See if it has same error
    Code:
       Dim i        As Long

For i = 0 To txtFileName.UBound      
          txtFileName(i).Text = "Num " & i 
       Next i
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

Any RichEdit control is a pretty full-featured thing, more a yacht than a surfboard. Then add all of the infrastructure to accept and recognize ink strokes as text... this isn't something you want vast numbers of anyway.

Are you sure you can't just use an MSHFlexGrid with one InkEdit control used as a marquee or data entry box? That would at least allow display and editing of Unicode text.

Otherwise you'll probably want to build or buy a wrapped Unicode Edit control instead.

There is a reason why this is seldom an issue for "real" programs. The vast majority have no need to try to span locales so ANSI works just fine.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Are you sure you can't just use an MSHFlexGrid with one InkEdit control used as a marquee or data entry box? That would at least allow display and editing of Unicode text.
    Each InkEdit box is to reside underneath a picturebox (showing the thumbnail of a file). The InkEdit is to display (for view and edit) the file name.
    Therefore a grid can't do the job.

Thanks.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    What may appear strange to readers is the need for 500 to 2000 textbox like controls.

Here's another test you can try. If it does not cause an error, then I'd say that error you got is a timing thing... The control needs time to setup internally before you can set the text. Maybe it also depends on what some of the control's property settings are too.

Step 1. Run your initial loop to create 500 controls, without setting the text property
    Step 2. In another button, waiting a few seconds after all the controls are loaded.. See if it has same error
    Code:
       Dim i        As Long

For i = 0 To txtFileName.UBound      
          txtFileName(i).Text = "Num " & i 
       Next i
    I just changed the logic to use two separate commandbuttons: One to load 500 InkEdit boxes, and another to write something into them.
    I clicked on the first one.
    After the completion of the loading, I waited a minute, and then clicked on the second commandbutton.

Result: Problem persists.
    I get the same error when the program attempts to write something into 437th InkEdit box.

Thanks.
    Last edited by IliaPreston; Jul 21st, 2019 at 06:04 PM.

You need to create a virtual scroll port/display.
    Do not try to load all needed pictures in one go.
    Only load the images/controls which fit on the screen.
    If the user scrolls then refresh the images and text.

PowerPoster

So skip using a grid.

You can do the same thing other ways though. For example you might render your Unicode text into some sort of static control (PictureBox?) and when one of these gets focus hover a single InkEdit control over it to accept user editing of the contents.