dcsimg

Thread: How to install Service Pack 6 for Visual Studio 6 on Windows 10 x64?

Lively Member

Question How to install Service Pack 6 for Visual Studio 6 on Windows 10 x64?

Hi!

I installed Visual Studio 6 on Windows 10 x64.
    I need to install Service Pack 6 req'd for some components.
    I found problem.
    When I run installation by dblckick as admin it reports that cannot find file specified, even if I set compatibily with XP SP3 or XP SP2.
    When I run installation from command line it hangs with flashing cursor only.

How to install SP6 for Visual Studio 6?
    'Cause guides to use VSInstaller helped not.

Thank you for each help.
    Miro

Re: How to install Service Pack 6 for Visual Studio 6 on Windows 10 x64?

Download the SP6 and start the EXE as administrator ...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=5721
    Before starting the download, create a download directory on your computer. If your internet connection is less than 300K, it is recommended that you run the multi-part download by following the "More Information" link at the upper right, then clicking "Download Now."

Click "Download" to begin downloading the single download. When prompted by the download software, choose the option "Save this program to disk" and click OK. Then select the directory you created on your computer.

Run the file from the download directory. When prompted, select the same directory you created on your computer. You will be expanding the contents of the EXE into this directory.

Run SetupSP6.exe from the download directory. When you accept the terms of the electronic End User License Agreement (EULA) the setup software will replace the appropriate files in your Visual Basic 6.0 installation

Lively Member

Helped not - this I download before - and did it again, result is same.

Miro

Lively Member

Helped not - this I download before - and did it again, result is same.

Miro

What message do you get??

PowerPoster

It seems obvious that "Visual Studio 6.0" (most of it should not be installed any more) simply wasn't installed properly in the first place.

The Service Pack installer doesn't find some files or registry entries because they aren't there. They got placed into virtualized locations when the original improper install was done.

Cleaning up the mess can be difficult. It might help to start by uninstalling the product and starting over again running both VS6 install phases elevated, but some crud is bound to be left behind. Or a clean install of Windows from scratch always works.

Lively Member

So, installing clean OS and then VS6 I don't want.
    But I created virtual Machine with XP and there is working all correctly.
    Miro

This

> It seems obvious that "Visual Studio 6.0" (most of it should not be installed any more) simply wasn't installed properly in the first place.

. . . means that you probably installed ADO or RDO or some other unsupported option when you setup VB6 in first place.

Now you cannot patch it w/ SP6 because the SP installer patches only and exactly the components that you installed in first place and some of these fails.

Find a *good* tutorial what you have to install and what you have to *not* install (the things you have to uncheck) from VS6 setup to get a working VB6 installation that is able to be patched with SP6 later.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Most likely the two phases of installation weren't both done elevated. That might explain why the SP6 installer doesn't "see" portions of VB6 when it runs, since the package is designed to trigger elevation itself and would not experience virtualization.