dcsimg

Thread: Google Smart Home Local Execution SDK

PowerPoster

Google Smart Home Local Execution SDK

Anyone else seen this?

Local execution

New option for home automation: cloudless execution of commands.

The SDK lets you write a local execution app, using TypeScript or JavaScript, that contains your smart home business logic. Google Home smart speakers and Nest smart displays can load and run your app on-device. Your app communicates directly with your existing smart devices over Wi-Fi on a local area network (LAN) to fulfill user commands, over existing protocols.
    Seems to be based on Node.js as far as I can tell.

Too bad it uses JavaScript... but it could have been far worse I suppose.

Looks interesting. I wonder how Amazon might respond?

Of course if it still relies on speech recognition in the cloud it doesn't buy you the ability to control home automation without an Internet connection. Almost silly at that point, hmm?

Re: Google Smart Home Local Execution SDK

How's their security? Hacking somebodies house would be pretty interesting, considering all the things that can be automated, including keyless entry, security settings, and thermostats. Now, the last one may not be clearly a point of attack, but there was a story from the 70s or 80s where some gal broke up with her boyfriend either while he was on vacation, or just before. She called the UK weather service recorded line and left the phone off the hook. Basically, by the time he got home, he had a bill for an overseas call with a duration of more than a week. Now, consider what you could do with remote control of a home thermostat while a person was on vacation. A creative person could likely give them a bill for hundreds, if not thousands, of extra dollars. An even more creative person could probably get that bill into the many thousands of dollars. A VERY creative person, could probably burn the house down without leaving any trace.

Remote control of houses MUST have security, and it MUST be pretty solid, or you could be left quite vulnerable.

In my case, I keep looking at home automation, but I have never yet found a single thing that I thought would make my life even a little better aside from robot vacuums.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Being disabled, I love smart home technology. I can turn on light, TV/Stereo/DVD, adjust Thermostat by voice. I always hated when I'd get in bed and then realize I forgot to turn the heater off for the night so I'd have to get up and transfer into my wheelchair ...... or if I was to lazy just sleep on top of the covers in the middle of winter. The choice usually depends on how much wine I had after dinner. lol

One truly good feature is if I find myself in a bad situation (like I've fallen) I can just tell Alexa to call who ever might be available to help me.

It never even crossed my mind that these things could be hackable. Sure would hate to give these things up.

PowerPoster

Well if you had Alexa maybe you could order a new tinfoil hat.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Well if you had Alexa maybe you could order a new tinfoil hat.
    pfft, It's clear you haven't been doing your home work.

https://www.ebay.com/i/123721901290?...waAqhGEALw_wcB

HA! Even the model looks disgusted.

Just because something is hackable doesn't mean you have to give it up. The issue with a lot of those items is that there wasn't all that much thought put into security. Essentially: If it is hackable, then that's a design flaw. Unfortunately, there are too many of those design flaws in too many of those devices. This will be remedied over time, hopefully not by the normal means, which is to wait for some legendary exposure event.

Ultimately, automation will be best for the disabled, at which point we'll all realize that we are disabled in various ways. We're already seeing this in apps that allow us to see things that we weren't able to see before (enhancing vision beyond whatever limits we previously had). All such things give us access to abilities that we formerly lacked. However, I still use a flip-phone, so I'm not one who is overly enamored by the abilities that current technology can add to what I already have. That extends to home automation.

PowerPoster

If these devices do start to be hacked it might bring up some interesting legal issues. If your smart lock is hacked and you get robbed can you sue the device maker for lack of security? I mean, if you buy a car and the brakes don't work properly, then you'll sue the car company.

Some of these devices can be used as parts of bot nets for things like DDOS attacks. I've heard that a large number of web accessible cameras could be compromised in this way...and therefore have been. At this point, I've never heard of anybody being held responsible. That's likely because a DDOS attack just doesn't rise to the level of personal property damage. It's more a nuisance. I would expect that the lawsuits would start flying if a web accessible door lock was hacked.

PowerPoster

While not for every Billy Bob, there are more secure local-only options as described here:

That's basically a discussion of a new Sonoff product that makes it a little easier to re-flash with alternative firmware instead of the default "phone home to China" stuff.

PowerPoster

A little more involve than I want to be, I'll just keep my lead helmet on and hope for the best. I've seen that guys videos before, he's fun. I wonder if he's making a living doing these vids, or maybe just some free stuff from the makers.