dcsimg

Thread: Looking for Developer Friendly File Manager

Hyperactive Member

Looking for Developer Friendly File Manager

I would like to see if there is a File Manager out there where I could bookmark like 5 folders, and show them in 5 separate dockable windows(or at least 2). Imagine the left pane in Windows Explorer only has a list of 5 favorite folders, once you click on them a list of files shows up. For example, someone making games might have assets elsewhere, like images in one folder, audio in another, PDF/API Docs in another, and lastly, source code folder. I could put some of these in subfolders under the project folder, especially the one I use in that project, but I don't want to copy everything.

Currently, if I restart, or switch between projects, I run a batch file on my desktop that opens multiple Windows Explorer windows. Example:

%windir%\explorer.exe /e /root,"C:\Downloads\Graphics\Photos"
    %windir%\explorer.exe /e /root,"C:\Downloads\Audio\Clips"
    %windir%\explorer.exe /e /root,"C:\VB\Graphics\MyGame"

This sped up my coming back to work on a project, so I just get to it.

Wikipedia has a list of file managers in this article, but I haven't tried them yet(I try not install new software unless absolutely necessary, especially closed source, to reduce the chance of infections). I prefer open source, but I could use paid ones. I know I could make something up in "few minutes", but I prefer a ready solution. So which File Manager do you prefer?

Edit: A bonus: There should be a dropdown Combo(Or tabs) to select a project, and when clicked, it shows the list of bookmarks(folders) for that project. The dropdown combo could have Game1/DBApp1/Utility1, etc. to switch the list of folder relevant to that project. 2 folder panes are fine, but more are better.
    Last edited by qvb6; Jul 11th, 2019 at 02:15 PM.

Re: Looking for Developer Friendly File Manager

I've used Directory Opus since 2002.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.3.5)