Thread: I am trying several different type of game concepts and have questions.

Question I am trying several different type of game concepts and have questions.

Mostly I am interested in GDI+, I uploaded my Sprite animation example to the Games Graphics Programming CodeBank, but it's waiting approval. I am here to get input mostly on different type of games, so I will ask several questions and please post as you see fit.

1. Bard's Tale style game - I understand how the graphics are rendered, but I am having trouble better understanding how to divide the graphics into proper components. So for example, I would like to try a higher resolution. In some cases scaling is not preferable. I might want a wide display instead. So I am looking for any info on how to architect the layout of the graphics. If anyone has some pointers on this, great!

2. Crafting system - Have not put too much thought into this, but a crafting system where you can combine 2 or more items to derive a 3rd item is in the plans. Any ideas on keeping this clean in an object oriented way.

3. Scripting system - This will be the most complex to do. I have never done this, so I would like to hear any ideas on how to keep something like this simple. The idea is
    not a full language, but kind of an automation api for the games I would develop. Most of the game scenes or levels would be contained in a simple structured file type, but this is undecided.

Ok so that's to start. If you are doing anything like this and can share some insight or code, please let me know.

Cool Re: I am trying several different type of game concepts and have questions.

I'm just replying to my own post. Since my upload is now available at the codebank, I would like to mention, that I will post a preliminary game projects in this thread. The reason for not putting it in the codebank is, that it is buggy and very rough code. I am scrapping it at this time and possibly refactoring the design plan. I would say disregard it, but it might be useful if you are working on a similar game. As a note, after picking up the hammer object, and going to the pyramid, click on an NPC, then the hammer in the inventory than click the give command. It has to be in that order, for the Give command to work. It's very rough, but remniscent of games like Jetsons - Robotopia, Deja-Vu A Nightmare and Borrowed time. Let me know if its helpful, but for a clean example, see the codebank project as it is commented, though minimally on the concepts of the GUI.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: I am trying several different type of game concepts and have questions.

Interesting game. Kinda got stuck though at the archaeologist and hammer lol! Ill figure it out.

GDI programming for games though is a bit rough because its all software rendering. Once you get good enough in the near future, and you will if you are persistent enough, you are gonna wanna leap ahead and actually do some real hardware rendering using either DirectX or OpenGL, or even the new one that came out in 2016 called Vulkan which is blowing away both of them due to how fast it is. And since Microsoft didn't actually do much with Visual Basic when it comes to DirectX (Its still stuck in DirectX9, whereas the latest version is DirectX12), this may require learning C++. Bare in mind, the future of graphics programming is gonna be Ray Tracing. Just to give you an example, using Android Studio instead of Visual Studio, its like trying to do GDI graphics style programming on Android devices. It's honestly never ever done. You never see an app in the game section of the app store where you press button and image widgets. Instead, all the game related apps on Android use OpenGL ES, even the most simple ones.

The Bards Tale style of gameplay I'm thinking is a bit far fetched. You should concentrate on something more simple such as a graphic adventure such as Secret of Monkey Island, or Day of the Tentacle.

Crafting can be easily done by creating an Object class....as in the objects, not referring to programming objects rofl! As in actual Objects you can link together to upgrade certain aspects of the object. Even things like maybe stats. For example Stamina, Strength, Intellect, Dexterity, Agility, Crit Chance, etc. Or add-ons to the item that are compatible to make an entirely new tool to help with little puzzles.

Scripting is simple enough as long as you're not inventing your own scripting language. You can do something like World of Warcraft uses, LUA. Its all about using strings to find certain token words and making sure the syntax is correct. Probably easier said than done, but very possible if you play with the idea rather than overthink it.

Your game also never shown any title screen what so ever. Even something just as simple as a title that hovers for a few seconds before the main app pops up would be sufficient. God its so late I forget the name of what that effect is even called lol. You should see the game I'm working on. My current game I'm making for Android is gonna be a 3D paddle brick and ball style game called Balls of Steel, which will feature a ton of special effects such as reflection for the ship and ball, the bloom effect, depth of field, lighting such as specular lighting, diffuse, and ambient, shadow mapping, and so much more. Not much to show but its getting there:
    Attached Images Attached Images