dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Where to look next ?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Where to look next ?

Hi,

I'm trying to make a little game for two computers on the same LAN.

For a long time I've had a problem, with exactly the same application in two computers, sending data from a Windows 10 machine to a Windows 7 machine works without a problem, but trying to send data the other way doesn't work. I've just discovered that I have the same situation now that I'm using two Windows 10 machines.

It's the same computer, my primary laptop, that isn't receiving date from the other. I've compared both firewalls, which are both MS Windows Defender, and both set exactly the same. Using 'Allow an app through Windows Firewall' I've checked the app is recognised and permitted.

I turned the firewall off for a while and tried again but it still doesn't work.

So now I'm wondering where else to look.

I've just copied onto my primary Windows 10 machine an application from the web which is designed to find all the computers on the LAN, and tried it, it didn't fail, but neither did it find the two computers connected my LAN.

Wondering if maybe I'd misunderstood, and it was looking for another computer running this app, I copied the .exe file to a USB memory stick, connected it to the other (Windows 10) machine and ran it directly from the stick... I discovered both machines immediately, with only the one machine running the app.

So now I'm pretty sure it's my primary computer that has the problem but I still don't know where to look.

I just put the memory stick in the Windows 7 machine... and it didn't find any computers. But the other Windows 10 machine found all three !

Oh dear... Curioser and curioser.

Only my primary machine has a visual Studio. (VS 2017)

Poppa.
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

Re: Where to look next ?

Hi...

Finally I've found an answer to this problem. I'm going to explain what I now do to overcome the problem just in case someone else is looking for an answer to a similar problem. I shall mark this thread as Resolved.

Ok, it turns out that this problem also occurs in reverse, i.e. When I try to connect from the Win.7 machine to the Win.10 machine it connects immediately every time, and if I try to connect from the Win.10 machine to the Win.7 machine it doesn't connect at all.
    Also... now that I have a second Win.10 machine and the problem still exists, it seems to rule-out the OS being the actual culprit.

ANSWER:
    The problem is in the firewall, I make a change to the .exe file and the firewall thinks it's a different file... So:
    This is the solution for my machines all of which use Microsoft 'Windows Defender' for anti-virus and firewall.

On both (all) machines:
    1. Open the 'Windows Defender Security Center'.
    2. On the left hand menu select: Firewall & network protection.
    3. On the right, click 'Allow an app through firewall'.
    4. Click 'Change settings'. (You may need administrative permission for this).
    5. Scroll down the 'Allowed apps and features' list to find the relevant application. There may be more than one entry.
    6. Select the relevant application and highlight it. (Left click)
    7. Click the 'Remove' button. Do this (6 and 7) for all relevant application entries.
    8. All done, click 'OK' at the bottom of the page.

Next time you run this app. you will probably encounter the 'Permission Required' pop-up.

Poppa.
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.