dcsimg

Thread: Strange Problem of Focus in forms

Frenzied Member

Strange Problem of Focus in forms

I have 3 Forms
    1) Main Form
    2) Sales List Form
    3) Sales Entry Form

From the menu in the MainForm the user opens the SalesList form, in the SLF there is an dgv , on dblclicking the dgv the SalesEntry form is opened

(I am showing an Messagebox in SalesEntry Form to confirm the form closure when the Close Button is pressed (not the x button))

Now From the SalesList form..
    1) If i open the SalesEntry using ShowDialog , when the SalesEntry form closes the focus is set back to SalesList form, (normal behavior)

2) if i open the SalesEntry form using Show,
    .....a) If i show the Closure confirmation msgbox..the focus is set to the mainform
    .....b) if i dont show the confirmation msgbox...the focus is set to saleslist form

plz help with the second situation...i dont wish to use ShowDialog.

PS:
    Contra to my post...i have tried to recreate the situation in another Solution, everything works fine(in all cases),

i am not able to find the problem in my current project

Re: Strange Problem of Focus in forms

Can't you use saleslist.BringToFront() after the msgbox?

It's a problem with modality and non-modality. A form opened with showdialog and also any msgbox are modal forms. Forms opened with show are non modal, with the exception of MessageBox.Show

I'm not sure what the problem really is. You mentioned what happened with ShowDialog, and two different behaviors with Show. The second behavior with Show appears to be the same as the behavior with ShowDialog, as far as which form gets focus. Since you say you don't want to use ShowDialog, then I would assume that the behavior you want is that which you get with ShowDialog...and you'd like the same behavior with Show. That's what has me puzzled, because it looks like you ARE getting that behavior with Show as long as there isn't a messagebox in the form close.

If that's the case, then don't use a messagebox in close. What good does that do? What role is it supposed to play?

Sure, it's a strange work around that doesn't explain the underlying problem, but it kind of seems like it would be better.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem really is. You mentioned what happened with ShowDialog, and two different behaviors with Show. The second behavior with Show appears to be the same as the behavior with ShowDialog, as far as which form gets focus. Since you say you don't want to use ShowDialog, then I would assume that the behavior you want is that which you get with ShowDialog...and you'd like the same behavior with Show. That's what has me puzzled, because it looks like you ARE getting that behavior with Show as long as there isn't a messagebox in the form close.

If that's the case, then don't use a messagebox in close. What good does that do? What role is it supposed to play?

Sure, it's a strange work around that doesn't explain the underlying problem, but it kind of seems like it would be better.
    Isn't the msgbox there to confirm closing?

Frenzied Member

Can't you use saleslist.BringToFront() after the msgbox?
    I am not using the Default instance of the form.
    I am opening it as

Dim slf as New SalesList()
    slf.show()

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    Isn't the msgbox there to confirm closing?
    Yes..its is

Quote Originally Posted by aashish_9601 View Post
    I am not using the Default instance of the form.
    I am opening it as

Dim slf as New SalesList()
    slf.show()
    You need to either pass a reference to the instance, to every form that might need it, or use a global module to declare global variables