Thread: .NET 4.6 framework compatibility

.NET 4.6 framework compatibility

Hey everyone. So my company has recently upgraded to 1.2 SSL which of course requires at least the .NET 4.6 framework. So I've since upgraded my program to use the 4.6 framework so that it can communicate with the server securely.

I've had a few Windows 10 users that have received the Could not load file assembly 12.0 error message. Typically what I've done in the past to handle this was have the user make sure they have a full version of word downloaded from Microsoft or run a repair on any currently installed office program. So a particular individual that I've been trying to get it to work with is using Windows 10 and has the 4.7.2 framework installed on their computer. Program runs fine until it attempts to launch Microsoft Word. Prior to me changing it to use the 4.6 framework there were no issues.

I'm at a loss as to what needs to happen on these select few remote computers that are getting this error message. There's about 200 people in the company and only about 5 are having this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if any more information is required I'd be happy to provide it.

Re: .NET 4.6 framework compatibility

Hi xSmityx,

Are you saying that on those computers which are running Windows 10 you have replaced their .NET 4.7.2 framework with .NET 4.6 framework?

Any computer with .NET 4.7.2 framework will be compatible with an application designed with .NET 4.6 framework, so there's no need to do anything with .NET 4.7.2 framework.

If you're having trouble with an application designed for a OS earlier than Windows 10, you should set it's 'Compatibility Mode' for that OS.
    Open File Explorer, navigate to that app's .exe file, right click the file, and then select 'Properties' and then click the 'Compatibility' tab, the rest should be obvious.
    (Ensure you click 'Apply' before closing)

Poppa.
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

Re: .NET 4.6 framework compatibility

Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear. They are running Windows 10 with 4.7.2 .NET Framework. The program I created is using the 4.6 framework. I believe I found some type of a solution and I'm wondering if this can be confirmed as I intend to move forward with it.

Of the 200 employees they're all using a range of Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 and using Office 2010 or later. Originally in my project I added the reference to the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.dll 12.0. I've now, per this issue, removed that and added in the Microsoft Word 16.0 Object Library 8.7. By using the 16.0 object library will that work on the range of windows systems and office versions ranging from 2010-2019?