Thread: Problems connecting Oracle 9

Problems connecting Oracle 9

Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to connect to an Oracle 9 database using System.Data.OracleClient.

The project builds and runs until I try to instantiate an instance of OracleConnection, my app throws an error stating that the calling class cannot be loaded.

Thanks,
    Bob H

Re: Problems connecting Oracle 9

You shouldn't be using the Oracle provider that is part of the Framework. If you read the documentation for any type in that namespace it will tell you that it is deprecated. You should be using ODP.NET from Oracle, which you can add as a NuGet package or install on your machine if you want design tools.

Hi,

I am not using the .Net provider. I am using ODP.Net 19.xx as a NuGet package.

What I have been getting is an ORA-01017, Invalid USER/PASSWORD error. I know the credentials are good, they work in SQL Plus and SQL Developer.

I can take the same code and point to an 11g or 12c server with problems.

Thanks,
    Bob H

I'm not an Oracle user so I'm not expert but I believe that you'll need an older version of ODAC to connect to an older database version. How easy it will now be to find an ODAC compatible with a version 9 database, I don't know.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by bholahan View Post
    I have been trying to connect to an Oracle 9 database using System.Data.OracleClient.
    That is the old .Net provider IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by bholahan View Post
    I am not using the .Net provider. I am using ODP.Net 19.xx as a NuGet package.
    Unless they have changed something (I had used v 4.121.1.0), the namespace you should be using is Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client. It appears from your previous thread it may be Oracle.DataAccess.Client now unless you are purposely not using the managed version for some reason. I had used the managed version so that the Oracle client was not required to be installed on the PC. As stated in that thread, the version of ODP.Net you use must be the one meant for 11g in order to connect to a 9c database. I'm not sure where v 19.xx stands.
    Last edited by topshot; Jun 26th, 2019 at 09:10 AM.

Hi All,

I did get things figured out.

I am now using the Oracle.ManagedDataAccess namespace as suggested. But, it was a twisted journey to get things to work with Oracle 9.

For the life of me, I couldn't get a connection to Oracle 9 to work. What I had to do was create a database link that lives on an Oracle 11 server and use that link to access the tables that I wanted on the Oracle 9 server.

The real trick was trying to run an Alter User statement. I ended up creating a Stored Procedure that took a couple of paramters on the Oracle 9 server and user the Database link on the Oracle 11 server to access it.

Everything seems to working great thus far.

Thanks,
    Bob Holahan