Thread: Accessing IP cameras

Accessing IP cameras

I am trying to find out how to access IP cameras here at work through a Visual Studio 2017 application. Everything I have found is in another language and I'm not a very strong programmer.

Re: Accessing IP cameras

C# and VB are basically the same language (just with minor syntax differences), so if you find any C# examples you can easily convert them to VB using free online translators (just search for: C# to VB).

The translation might not be perfect, but if necessary we can help you fix that.

Thanks for the reply, I think I found something that seems to be going alone with what I'm looking for called Aforge.NET Framework 2.2.5. They actually have this sample stuff in a zip here https://code.google.com/archive/p/aforge/downloads in C# that I had just started messing around with in a translator (http://www.carlosag.net/Tools/CodeTranslator/). As you mentioned it's not pretty since I'm getting errors all over the place. If you have any advice as to a better way to go forward on the matter I am all ears

EDIT: The file path in that zip to the sample I am referring to is Samples -> Video -> Player -> Player.sln
    Last edited by JoeNeed88; Jun 20th, 2019 at 09:40 AM.

The translators all work a bit differently, and some are better than others ( converter.telerik.com is usually good).

If you use multiple translators you can generally mix the results together, so if a particular line in one of them gives an error you can often just copy the equivalent line from the other to fix it.

We can help you fix specific issues that are left over, but it is unlikely that anyone will convert it all for you.

It is also worth noting that you can use VB and C# in the same project (for recent versions of Visual Studio at least), so you could potentially leave some of it in C#.

Thanks for the advice. I'll use it to cross reference the other translator as you mentioned. Didn't want to come across like I was wanting someone to do it all for me, wouldn't learn that way. Just wanted to include the links/file path in my previous post so someone looking in might have a better understanding of what I'm looking at.

Frenzied Member

Perhaps you should define what you mean by "access" and what interfaces may be available on the camera model in question. The mfg may provide an SDK but if the camera has a web interface you could perhaps use a WebBrowser control.

So I figured out the original issue with getting the program to grab the URL and try to connect to the camera feed. Now I am trying to get it to automatically input the username/pass for the camera site. I'll look into the WebBrowser Control. Do you think you could post an example of how one would go about setting up a username and password input with this method?