dcsimg

Thread: Calling winPcap from vb6

Lively Member

Calling winPcap from vb6

I have an app that does some tracking of tcp connections and statistics about individual connections using extended tcp statistics. In order to enable eStats and gather the information I capture the packet flow and look for the 3 way handshake and the obviously the connection ending.

I have a working version using raw sockets and also a version that uses a legacy activeX wrapper (packetX) around WinPcap. The raw sockets version works well. The packetX version is slow and by the time my app gets the packets the connection is already gone more than half the time.

In order to get the best performance (best means least CPU) I want to try to call WinPcap directly. I have tried really hard but don't seem to be able to get it going. I think I have two issues. One is that I believe WinPcap is compiled _Cdecl and the second is that I just do not seem to be able to get the function declare statements correct.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this or if it is possible at all?

I know it should be but after googling a million different things and looking at all sorts of alternatives like nPcap, WinPktFilter etc I just dont seem to be able to get anything of this nature working in VB. I have some c++ but its super limited.

Re: Calling winPcap from vb6

To even move forward, you'll need the functions definitions. cDecl can be called from VB using thunks and/or DispCallFunc API, but you need to know what functions to call and how to call them.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Lively Member

Thanks for your reply. Yes I get that. I will post the definitions from the winPcap documentation that I am trying to call.

Lively Member

BTW does the undocumented cDecl keyword in the prodecure declare statement actually do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by vbwins View Post
    BTW does the undocumented cDecl keyword in the prodecure declare statement actually do anything?
    For the compiler -- yes. That keyword determines how the stack is cleaned up once the function is called and the callee returns. VB expects stdCall functions, so its stack clean-up is based on that expectation. Mixing the two without the knowledge of one or the other (caller, callee) results in stack corruption.

The DispCallFunc API can call various calling conventions, but has a bit of a learning curve for its usage. Thunks are simply routines written to executable memory that are told which calling convention is expected by the caller and callee and its code adjusts the stack properly, as needed. A tad bit more complex than that, but that is the gist.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Lively Member

Lets start with this one.

BOOLEAN PacketGetAdapterNames ( PTSTR pStr,
    PULONG BufferSize
    )

Retrieve the list of available network adapters and their description.

Parameters:
    pStr User allocated string that will be filled with the names of the adapters.
    BufferSize Length of the buffer pointed by pStr. If the function fails, this variable contains the number of bytes that are needed to contain the adapter list.

I would think I should pass a strptr value as a long for the pStr and a long by length for the buffer length? This is in packet.dll

ftp://hacktic.nl/pub/security/packet...et32.html#ga87

Lively Member

Lets start with this one.

BOOLEAN PacketGetAdapterNames ( PTSTR pStr,
    PULONG BufferSize
    )

Retrieve the list of available network adapters and their description.

Parameters:
    pStr User allocated string that will be filled with the names of the adapters.
    BufferSize Length of the buffer pointed by pStr. If the function fails, this variable contains the number of bytes that are needed to contain the adapter list.

I would think I should pass a strptr value as a long for the pStr and a long by length for the buffer length? This is in packet.dll

ftp://hacktic.nl/pub/security/packet...et32.html#ga87

But I either get the dreaded bad dll calling convention or the process gets blown away with an AV.

Ask the question or find the answer, you'll want to know what each of the variable types mean, relative to VB. I don't know if this is the right source. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ows-data-types

Based on that link: BOOL is defined as a TYPEDEF, which I believe is just 1 byte, but not sure. PULONG is defined as a pointer to a unsigned long value. PTSTR is either a pointer to a Unicode or ANSI string, and depends on how the DLL is compiled -- either using the Unicode directive or not. In any case, if we are talking about pointers, typically the value is passed ByRef. Unicode strings passed ByRef are done as ByVal StrPtr().

I am going to assume PTSTR is ANSI vs Unicode. You need to verify whether the DLL is written for ANSI or Unicode.

Others will correct me if I am wrong
    Code:
    Declare Function PacketGetAdapterNames Lib "whatever.dll"(pStr As Any, ByRef BufferSize As Long) As Long
    - since not sure how many bytes BOOL uses, may want to test 1st byte of return value & expect other bytes to be junk?
    - String can be passed like: ByVal myString for ANSI or ByVal StrPtr(myString) for unicode

Again, if cDecl, you can't safely call this directly from VB anyway. Hope the above link and attempted translation of the function is helpful. Others with far more experience in converting C to VB will likely chime in since that stuff is in their playground.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jun 18th, 2019 at 09:48 AM.

Lively Member

Here is a link to the c++ header file for packet.dll if that helps.

https://github.com/mscdex/cap/blob/m...ude/Packet32.h

To even get started I need to be able to call

BOOLEAN PacketGetAdapterNames(PTSTR pStr,PULONG BufferSize);

Lively Member

Thanks LaVolpe. Will continue to try.

Lively Member

This gives bad dll calling convention.

Removing the "as long" from the function definition results in vb ide getting blown away.

Option Explicit
    Private Declare Function PacketGetAdapterNames Lib "packet.dll" (ByVal stringBuffer As Long, ByRef bufferLength As Long) As Long
    Private Sub Form_Load()
    Dim bufferLength As Long
    Dim strBuffer As String
    strBuffer = Space$(100)
    bufferLength = 100
    If PacketGetAdapterNames(StrPtr(strBuffer), bufferLength) Then
    End If
    End Sub

If that function is cDecl calling convention, you already didn't heed my warnings -- don't call cDecl directly with a VB API declaration. Use DispCallFunc API or a Type Library with the cDecl functions declared in it (think you can find posts on that topic).

FYI: When removing the "As Long", then you use "As Any" and pass parameter ByVal if needed. But above statement remains valid.

And regarding the Bad calling convention -- most likely related to cDecl or having the return value or a parameter vartype declared wrong.

Just FYI. Awhile back I wrote a wrapper for the DispCallFunc api. You can find it in the code bank
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...all-DLL-Calls)

Edited: A sample call might look like this. Review the 1st two posts on that thread for more details. In a sense, that class becomes your adhoc API declarations via its function parameters.
    Code:
    Debug.Print myClass.CallFunction_DLL("packet.dll", "PacketGetAdapterNames", STR_NONE, _
           CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, StrPtr(strBuffer), VarPtr(bufferLength))
    FYI: When I used the above call, bufferLength was returned as zero, Err.LastDllError = 122 (ERROR_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER). So the call worked and the DLL changed the value. From what I gather, bufferLength is set to zero when no adapters found. P.S. Looks as if the return value should be byte after reviewing the disassembled dll function -- only 8 bits of the eax register are being modified but Long is ok too, just look at the low byte

I did not install winPcap, just downloaded packets.dll -- so return value probably expected.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jun 18th, 2019 at 12:46 PM.

Lively Member

Thank you very much. I will continue and if I get a working example will post it in code bank.

Don't suppose there was ever a working example?

Lively Member

So yes there is. When I get some time I will pull the guts out of my code and post it up. Bottom line is that I needed to use LaVolpe's universal dll caller which I wrapped in my support dll for my code.

Sorry but I am on a sprint and it will take me a few days to post it up.

Lively Member

So yes there is. When I get some time I will pull the guts out of my code and post it up. Bottom line is that I needed to use LaVolpe's universal dll caller which I wrapped in my support dll for my code.

Sorry but I am on a sprint and it will take me a few days to post it up. In the mean time this may help you.

There is a bunch of stuff you dont need and you will not find CacheFunction_DLL or callCachedFunction in LaVolpes class but you can substitute CallFunction_DLL for callCachedFunction and ignore the CacheFuncton_Dll

Bottom line is that if you read this in conjunction with the wPcap documentation it should help.

Steps

1) Get a list of adapters
    2) Open the ones you want
    3) Set up your filters etc
    4) Loop forever calling pcap_next_ex

There is also some threading functions in the code you can ignore. As I said pulling out a reusable version will take me a while.

Hope this helps.

PS. I am sorry my indentations never show up here.

Code:
    Public Function tcpAgentInitialiseWPcapEx() As Boolean
    10        On Error GoTo errorHandler

Dim Adapters() As String

Dim goodAdapters() As String

Dim caller As New OMATcpAgentUtilities.cUniversalDLLCalls

Dim aCount As Long

Dim aIdx As Long

Dim aUpper As Long

Dim hAdapt As Long

Dim errorBuff As String

Dim linkType As Long

Dim goodCount As Long

Dim pStatus As Long

20        tcpAgentInitialiseWPcapEx = True

30        goodCount = -1

40        aCount = goodCount

50        Const ETHERNET_LINK As Long = 1

60        errorBuff = Space(8192)

70        If tcpAgentGetNcapNames(Adapters) Then

80           aUpper = UBound(Adapters)

90           For aIdx = 0 To aUpper

100              writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - Found adapter " & StrConv(Adapters(aIdx), vbUnicode)

110              hAdapt = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_open", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, StrPtr(Adapters(aIdx)), 60, 0, 1000, 0, StrPtr(errorBuff))

120              If hAdapt = 0 Then

130                 writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - Adapter " & StrConv(Adapters(aIdx), vbUnicode) & " CANNOT be opened for capture"

140                 Adapters(aIdx) = ""

150              Else

160                 linkType = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_datalink", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, hAdapt)

170                 If linkType <> ETHERNET_LINK Then

180                    writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - Adapter " & StrConv(Adapters(aIdx), vbUnicode) & " is not an ethernet device. Closing adapter and exiting. Type is " & linkType

190                    Adapters(aIdx) = ""

200                 Else

210                    writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - Adapter " & StrConv(Adapters(aIdx), vbUnicode) & " CAN be opened for capture"

220                    tcpAgentInitialiseWPcapEx = True

230                    goodCount = goodCount + 1

240                 End If

250                 pStatus = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_close", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, hAdapt)

260             End If

270          Next aIdx

280       End If

290       If goodCount <> -1 Then

300          ReDim goodAdapters(goodCount)

310          For aIdx = 0 To aUpper

320              If Adapters(aIdx) <> "" Then

330                 aCount = aCount + 1

340                 goodAdapters(aCount) = Adapters(aIdx)

350                 If Not tcpAgentStartTcpThread(goodAdapters(aCount)) Then

360                    writeAgentLog "ERROR - Failed to create a TCP thread. Agent stopping"

370                    tcpAgentInitialiseWPcapEx = False

380                    Exit For

390                 End If

400                 If Not tcpAgentStartDnsIcmpThread(goodAdapters(aCount)) Then

410                    writeAgentLog "ERROR - Failed to create DNS/Icmp thread. Agent stopping"

420                    tcpAgentInitialiseWPcapEx = False

430                    Exit For

440                 End If

450              End If

460          Next aIdx

470       Else

480          tcpAgentInitialiseWPcapEx = False

490       End If

500       'heapSetLFHeap

510       Exit Function

errorHandler:

520       errorDisplay Err.description, "tcpAgentInitialiseWPcapEx", Erl

530       tcpAgentInitialiseWPcapEx = False

540       Resume endofitall

endofitall:
    End Function

Public Function tcpAgentSetBpfFilter(caller As Object, hAdapt As Long, bpfFilter As String, snapLen As Long) As Boolean

20        tcpAgentSetBpfFilter = False

Dim bpf_string As String

Dim status As Long

Dim bpf_program As bpf_program_type

Dim bpf_isn As bpf_insn_type

Dim bpf_program_ptr As Long

30        bpf_program.bpf_insn = VarPtr(bpf_isn)

40        bpf_program_ptr = VarPtr(bpf_program.bpf_len)

50        bpf_string = StrConv(bpfFilter, vbFromUnicode)

60        status = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_compile_nopcap", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, snapLen, 1, bpf_program_ptr, StrPtr(bpf_string), 1, 0&)

70        If status < 0 Then

80           writeAgentLog "ERROR - pcap_compile_nopcap fails. Last dll error is " & Err.lastDllError

90           Exit Function

100       End If

110       status = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_setfilter", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, hAdapt, bpf_program_ptr)

120       If status < 0 Then

130          writeAgentLog "ERROR - pcap_setfilter fails. Last dll error is " & Err.lastDllError

140          Exit Function

150       End If

160       status = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_freecode", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, bpf_program_ptr)

170       If status < 0 Then

180          writeAgentLog "ERROR - pcap_freecode fails. Last dll error is " & Err.lastDllError

190          Exit Function

200       End If

210       status = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_setbuff", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, hAdapt, 2000000)

220       If status < 0 Then

230          writeAgentLog "ERROR - pcap_setbuff fails. Last dll error is " & Err.lastDllError

240          Exit Function

250       End If

260       status = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_setmintocopy", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, hAdapt, 60)

270       If status < 0 Then

280          writeAgentLog "ERROR - pcap_setmintocopy fails. Last dll error is " & Err.lastDllError

290          Exit Function

300       End If

310       tcpAgentSetBpfFilter = True

320       Exit Function

errorHandler:

330       errorDisplay Err.description, "tcpAgentSetBpfFilter", Erl

340       Resume endofitall

endofitall:
    End Function
    Public Function winPcapStartCaptureTcp(device As String) As Long

Dim caller As New OMATcpAgentUtilities.cUniversalDLLCalls

Dim hAdapt As Long

Dim errorBuff As String

Dim pStatus As Long

Dim farPtrPacketData As Long

Dim farPtrPacketHeader As Long

Dim farPktDataPointer As Long

Dim farPktHeaderPointer As Long

Dim packetHeader As packetHeaderType

Dim bpfFilter As String

Dim peepCounter As Long

Dim pPacketData(8192) As Byte

Dim inPacket As Boolean

Dim snapLen As Integer

Dim pcapTimeStamp As Double

Dim thisThreadId As Long

Dim secs As Long

Dim lenTempStr2 As Long

Dim tempStr1 As String

Dim tempStr2 As String

Dim ptrConUpDict As Long

Dim ptrStatsSummary As Long

Dim localConUp As Dictionary

Dim localStatsSummary  As OMATcpAgentUtilities.cStatsSumaryClass

20        ptrStatsSummary = ObjPtr(statsSummary)

30        ptrConUpDict = ObjPtr(conUp)

40        Set localConUp = PtrObj(ptrConUpDict)

50        vbaObjAddref localConUp

60        Set localStatsSummary = PtrObj(ptrStatsSummary)

70        vbaObjAddref localStatsSummary

80        snapLen = 60

90        thisThreadId = GetCurrentThreadId

Const PCAP_OPENFLAG_MAXRESPONSIVENESS As Long = 16

'Const PCAP_OPENFLAG_MAXRESPONSIVENESS As Long = 0

100       farPtrPacketData = VarPtr(farPktDataPointer)

110       farPtrPacketHeader = VarPtr(farPktHeaderPointer)

120       errorBuff = Space(2048)

130       hAdapt = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_open", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, StrPtr(device), snapLen, PCAP_OPENFLAG_MAXRESPONSIVENESS, 1000, 0, StrPtr(errorBuff))

140       If hAdapt <> 0 Then

150          InterlockedIncrement ptrHadaptersOpen

160       Else

170          writeAgentLog "ERROR - Failed to open TCP adapter " & StrConv(device, vbUnicode) & " error is " & errorBuff & " thread will terminate"

180          Exit Function

190       End If

200       writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - TCP pcap opens adapter " & StrConv(device, vbUnicode) & " with handle " & hAdapt

210       bpfFilter = "tcp and not icmp and not udp and !broadcast" ' and not port 445" 'and not port 3306"

220       If Not tcpAgentSetBpfFilter(caller, hAdapt, bpfFilter, 50) Then

230          writeAgentLog "ERROR - Error setting TCP adapter paramaters for interface " & StrConv(device, vbUnicode) & " Thread will terminate"

240          pStatus = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_close", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, hAdapt)

250          InterlockedDecrement ptrHadaptersOpen

260          Exit Function

270       End If

280       DoEvents

290       wPcapStopFlag = False

300       pStatus = caller.CacheFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_next_ex", STR_NONE, CR_INTEGER, CC_CDECL, hAdapt, farPtrPacketHeader, farPtrPacketData)

310       writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - Tcp thread allocated WinPCap library handle " & caller.getPcapHandle

320       writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - TCP capture starts on interface " & StrConv(device, vbUnicode)

330       Do Until wPcapStopFlag

340          peepCounter = peepCounter + 1

350          If peepCounter = 10000 Then

360             If Not wPcapStopFlag Then

370                If Not eventNoEventsPending Then

380                   inPacket = lockPacketSection

390                   eventDoEvents

400                   inPacket = unlockPacketSection(inPacket)

410                   writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - Pumped tcp messages"

420                End If

430                peepCounter = 0

440             End If

450          End If

460          pStatus = caller.callCachedFunction

470          If pStatus = 1 Then

480             inPacket = lockPacketSection

490             CopyMemory packetHeader, farPktHeaderPointer, Len(packetHeader)

500             CopyMemory pPacketData(0), farPktDataPointer, packetHeader.capLen

510             secs = packetHeader.timeStamp1 - 978307200

520             tempStr1 = "000000"

530             tempStr2 = CStr(packetHeader.timeStamp2)

540             lenTempStr2 = Len(tempStr2)

550             Mid$(tempStr1, (7 - lenTempStr2), lenTempStr2) = tempStr2

560             pcapTimeStamp = (secs & DecimalSpecifier & tempStr1)

' process your packet here however you want

570             winPcap_OnPacket pPacketData, packetHeader.packetLength, pcapTimeStamp, thisThreadId, localConUp, localStatsSummary

580             statsSummary.statsManagerCleanUpInThreadContext dictTalkTo

590             inPacket = unlockPacketSection(inPacket)

600          Else

610             inPacket = lockPacketSection

620             statsSummary.statsManagerCleanUpInThreadContext dictTalkTo

630             inPacket = unlockPacketSection(inPacket)

640          End If

650       Loop

660       writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - Tcp(TcpCapture) thread receives stop command " & GetCurrentThreadId

670       inPacket = lockPacketSection

680       statsSummary.statsManagerShutdownInThreadContext dictTalkTo, conUp

690       inPacket = unlockPacketSection(inPacket)

700       pStatus = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_breakloop", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, hAdapt)

710       pStatus = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_setbuff", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, hAdapt, 0)

720       pStatus = caller.CallFunction_DLL("wpcap.dll", "pcap_close", STR_NONE, CR_LONG, CC_CDECL, hAdapt)

730       InterlockedDecrement ptrHadaptersOpen

740       writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - Tcp thread frees pCap handle " & caller.getPcapHandle

750       caller.FreePcapHandle

760       Set caller = Nothing

770       Set localConUp = Nothing

780       Set localStatsSummary = Nothing

790       writeAgentLog "INFORMATION - Tcp thread closed adapter and terminates in thread " & GetCurrentThreadId

800       Exit Function

errorHandler:

810       errorDisplay Err.description, "winPcapStartCaptureTcp", Erl

820       If inPacket Then

830          inPacket = unlockPacketSection(inPacket)

840       End If

850       Resume endofitall

endofitall:
    End Function
    Last edited by vbwins; Oct 25th, 2019 at 08:15 AM.

When you get back, may want to wrap your previous reply in "code tags" so it is easier to follow?

Lively Member

Would like to do that. I am not sure how but I will figure it out.

Sinecure devotee

You can type in the tags manually, or you can click on the buttons above the reply window.

The buttons are normally at the end of the row of buttons.
    One says "VB", but usually looks like "VE" because the B is clipped, and the other is the "#" button.

If you select all the code, and then hit one of the buttons, it will add a beginning tag at the start of the selection, and an ending tag at the end.
    The "#" is the simplest, it just puts the code in a block as indented, and using a monospace typeface.
    The other tag, "VB", will prompt for "the option" for your tag, i.e. what programming language you want to be displayed perhaps.

I usually just go with the simple [code] tag, i.e. the one inserted by the "#" button, but I just type
    [code]
    [/code]
    and then type or paste my code between the tags.

The other tag is
    [HIGHLIGHT][/HIGHLIGHT] and if you enter something in the prompt, will start with [HIGHLIGHT=VB], if you entered VB.

Of course, you can type the highlight tag in manually as well, but since it is longer, I usually don't use it for short code snippets. Perhaps with a longer code example, the color syntax highlighting may be of some aid.
    Last edited by passel; Oct 25th, 2019 at 07:58 AM.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Lively Member

Thanks. Got it and done it.