dcsimg

Thread: New Windows 10 developments and vb6 apps

Hyperactive Member

New Windows 10 developments and vb6 apps

I am seeing all kinds of press talking about a new windows 10, but I have not seen anything clear enough to understand.

Has anyone deciphered these new features, is there anything in the plans that would cause win32 apps to stop working, or are there anything in the plans that would affect vb6 apps?

WP

PowerPoster

Re: New Windows 10 developments and vb6 apps

You're probably asking about Windows 10 1903 (19H1). I asked what people knew about this a bit over a month ago, but didn't get any appreciable response.

Microsoft still has some info about it for PC Janitors, but very little seemed to be published for developers and a lot of that seems to be gone already. Third-party sources seem heavily biased toward end users, so there isn't much meat there.

I'm not sure what's going on. We know they barely care about VB6 programmers at all, and the budget for developer support in general seems to be shrinking year by year. Just about the last thing of substance remaining may be What's New in Windows 10 for developers, build 18362. Translating any of that for VB programmers may take a while, assuming anything of significance is bullet-pointed there anyway.

I guess they are looking toward a time when all users have Chromebooks connecting to Azure centralized servers running Linux, and "user programming" means running the odd snippet of sandboxed Python there. Since UWP blew up in their faces like a cheap retread tire very much as Windows Phone did earlier... maybe the days of Windows are numbered?

What you're thinking of is the Windows Core OS. WindowsCentral.com has a good article about it.

Most of the article describes the benefits of WCOS to Microsoft. I doubt their enterprise customers are going to care about any of that. If it won't run regular Win32 software it's going to go nowhere with them. Just look at the Surface. It was supposed to lead the way to a desktop-free, Metro-only future. But these days, while you see plenty of Surfaces in use, they're all running Win32 software as ultralight notebooks.

Microsoft just can't seem to let go of this idea even after Metro, UWP, and Windows S Mode all failed. WCOS is probably going to join that list.

This is nothing to worry about now. It won't be replacing legacy Windows unless it catches on with business in a big way and that's not going to happen.
    Last edited by Grant Swinger; Jun 17th, 2019 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Swinger View Post
    Microsoft just can't seem to let go of this idea even after Metro, UWP, and Windows S Mode all failed.
    I wouldn't dismiss UWP yet.

Most cross-platform mobile development tools target Windows only through UWP which means that as win32 in the long run becomes irrelevant something along the lineage of UWP will remain to fill up the hollow shell.

cheers,
    </wqw>