dcsimg

Thread: INFORMATION: Packaging a VB6 project for distribution with all dependancies.

Addicted Member

INFORMATION: Packaging a VB6 project for distribution with all dependancies.

Question for those that know:

When you have a VB6 project that has external dependencies such as a common dialog or a rich text control and those are provided by external OCX files that may not be present or certainly not registered on the target system, what is the standard procedure for packaging up a VB6 Project so those dependencies are catered for to allow smooth and simple installation of your exe and associated files?

Do I create a install.exe binary just to register the OCX files? Or should we perhaps use an external setup program or is there a better and more up to date method? In the deep past I used a program called "setup2go". Any thoughts as to what I should do?

I have added a manifest into a RES file but so far, when deploying the program to differing systems I have encountered various differing blockages, Win10 home required having the two required OCX's registered as administrator, Win7 32 Pro would not recognise the objects as being installed even though they were registered correctly. I had to run another system exe to make the registered DLLs work at all.

Is this just the MS hell that we are in when we install a VB6 binary or is there a way around it all?

Your perspective appreciated.

PS. My project is here:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...aming-Software
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Jun 15th, 2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added setup2go and link

PowerPoster

Re: INFORMATION: Packaging a VB6 project for distribution with all dependancies.

You use either the package and deployment wizard that is included with VB6 or you use another install creator.

PowerPoster

Re: INFORMATION: Packaging a VB6 project for distribution with all dependancies.

I don't do this much any more, but sometimes I want to test on another system when I have questions about OS support or High DPI.

In those cases if the application is simple (i.e. no ActiveX EXEs involved) I use MMM to create a package that can be XCopy-deployed. But I don't make MMM available any more so you might consider one of the knock-offs or with some care Microsoft's MT.EXE instead. I got ripped off after being wheedled into posting my source code, so you can all kick rocks.

But the Package and Deployment Wizard still works for many things if used with care. And creating an MSI package can still be done using Visual Studio 6.0 Installer 1.1 if you downloaded that before Microsoft withdraw with so many other VS 6.0 downloads.

Then there are 3rd party tools for creating legacy scripted setups or MSI packages.

Addicted Member

Thankyou Dil.