dcsimg

Thread: VB6 Two days later ...

VB6 Two days later ...

l've decided to make a poker game . l call it Open Poker . There are 4 players , and each one gets 5 cards . The cards appear fine
    in their personal space on the screen , they have the option of changing up to 4 cards which they do and the new cards appear
    fine replacing the old ones . So far it works great and the cards of each player are identified ( ex. 5 of Hearts ,Queen of Spades
    etc but sorry for that , they are in Greek ) . Now each player looks at his/her hand and knows whether he/she is a winner or not BUT
    what l want is for each hand to be code evaluated and in a text box for each the value to appear . Also who is the winner by comparing
    the values .
    Have been trying for the last couple of days to find some code and adapt it , but so far no luck .
    l don't now if l made myself understood , but if l did , l will apreciate it if someone could help .

Thanks in advance

PS . The numbers above the cards are shown for reference .

Name:  OpenPoker.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  68.9 KB

Hyperactive Member

Re: VB6 Two days later ...

Thread moved from CodeBank, which is for finished snippets rather than asking questions.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

If you can see everyone's cards is it really poker at all?
    Seems that to do 4 player poker you would need 4 copies of the program talking to each other and running on different computers so each player sees only his/her cards.

Comparing values to decide the winner? You may want to use some sort of table or multiplier. Just an idea...

There may be better ideas from others that have created poker games themselves.

an example with multipliers, assuming cards are ranked from 2 (deuce) to 14 (ace)

high card only, ex: Q 9 5 4 3
    sort in descending order
    Q+64 + 9+48 + 5+32 + 4+16 + 3
    a pair, ex: 8 8 Q 9 3
    sort pair first, then rest in descending order
    (8+64 + 8+48 + Q+32 + 9+16 + 3) + 500
    two pair, ex: A A 8 8 9
    sort high pair first, low pair next, then last card
    (A+64 + A+48 + 8+32 + 8+16 + 9) + 1000
    3 of a kind, ex: 5 5 5 Q 9
    sort 3 of kind first, then rest in descending order
    (5+64 + 5+48 + 5+32 + Q+16 + 9) + 1500
    straight not same suit, ex Q J 10 9 8
    sort in descending order
    (Q+64 + J+48 + 10+32 + 9+16 + 8) + 2000
    flush same suit, ex: Q 9 5 4 3
    sort in descending order
    (Q+64 + 9+48 + 5+32 + 4+16 + 3) + 2500
    full house, ex: Q Q Q 5 5
    sort 3 of kind first
    (Q+64 + Q+48 + Q+32 + 5+16 + 5) + 3000
    4 of a kind, ex: A A A A 9
    sort 4 of kind first
    (A+64 + A+48 + A+32 + A+16 + 9) + 3500
    straight flush or royal flush, ex: Q J 10 9 8 or A K Q J 10
    sort in descending order
    (Q+64 + J+48 + 10+32 + 9+16 + 8) + 4000

For something like the above to work, you want to sort the cards so the hand looks like the above examples. After sorting, the 1st card is added to 64, 2nd added to 48, 3rd added to 32, etc. The reason for the multiplier being 16 apart is that the highest card value (ace) has a value less than 16. The offset at the end of the calculation is to ensure the different categories are rated higher than others. Why 500 intervals? If theoretical hand had 5 Aces, then A+64+A+48+A+32+A+16+A = 230 (where A=14) which is less than 500. Could use 250 or any other value > max theoretical hand.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Yesterday at 01:28 PM. Reason: formatting
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

@ LaVolpe thank you for your trouble .

However this is all veeery Greek to me and l don't even know how to apply it to the code of my project .

Sorry, can't help you there. It is your project. My suggestion was just one example of ranking cards, by type of hand, to calculate a number that will guarantee the higher calculation is the best hand and being able to rank all hands relative to each other. You have to find a method that works for you.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}