PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197

PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197

VS 2017 [RESOLVED] Change Color / Format Text-VBForums

Thread: [RESOLVED] Change Color / Format Text

Resolved [RESOLVED] Change Color / Format Text

I am trying to highlight all text that is between all elements between < >, ( ), { }, [], " ". However, the only thing I really know how to do is to find and highlight text within a richtextbox to the exact string. What I am trying to accomplish is to highlight certain strings of a html file or xaml file that are between those symbols. I have looked around on forums and such, and I cannot find anything relating to this. If you guys can help refer me to a place this has been discussed or help throw together some code, I'd really appreciate it. This is what I have for finding specific text and highlighting it (not what I tho...)

Code:
    Dim loc As Int16
    	  If txtbox1.Text.Contains("<html>") Then
    	            loc = txtbox1.Find("<html>")
    	            txtbox1.Select(loc, 6)
    	            txtbox1.SelectionColor = Color.Red
    	            'ForeColor = Color.Red
    	        End If
    But for an example for a string "asdfg(neededtexthere) 1234"
    the "neededtexthere" would need to be changed to a different fore color

Re: Change Color / Format Text

Your question isn't really clear to me. Are you saying that you are displaying HTML or XML markup in a RichTextBox and you want any text between chevrons, parentheses, braces or brackets to be displayed using a different fore colour? For instance, for a tag like <html>, you would colour the "html" but leave the chevrons the default colour, which is what your last example suggests, or would you colour the chevrons as well, which is what your code suggests?

Basically, what you need to do is to use Find in a loop. Find lets' you specify the index from which to start searching so you can start with an index of 0 and then, for each subsequent search, specify the index after the last result. You would need to make two calls for each substring. Find lets you specify multiple characters to search for so you would specify an opening chevron, parenthesis, brace or bracket. When you find one, you determine which it is and then look specifically for the matching closing chevron, parenthesis, brace or bracket after that. You then use those two results to determine what to select, change the colour and then repeat from the new starting index. Keep looping until the first of the two Find calls returns -1.

Yes, your first thought was correct. I would like to color everything inside of chevrons, parentheses, etc. I will be doing this for both xaml and html.
    Hmm, Your suggestion to build a loop is very challenging, and I appreciate it. I will give it a shot and let you know what I come up with

So, I am trying to puzzle together that loop you had mentioned... I don't know how to check character by character with the loop. This is what I want to type for the for loop, but i know it isn't right...
    Code:
    for each char as char in txtbox1.text

E.g.
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim findStartIndex = 0
    2. Dim openingChars = {"<"c, "("c, "{"c, "["c}
    3. Dim closingChars = {">"c, ")"c, "}"c, "]"c}
    5. Do
    6.     'Find the start of the next substring.
    7.     Dim substringStartIndex = RichTextBox1.Find(openingChars, findStartIndex)
    9.     If substringStartIndex = -1 Then
    10.         'No more substrings to find.
    11.         Exit Do
    12.     End If
    14.     Dim openingChar = RichTextBox1.Text(substringStartIndex)
    15.     Dim closingChar = closingChars(Array.IndexOf(openingChars, openingChar))
    17.     'Find the end of the current substring.
    18.     Dim substringEndIndex = RichTextBox1.Find({closingChar}, substringStartIndex + 1)
    20.     'Use substringStartIndex and substringEndIndex here.
    22.     'The next search starts after the current substring.
    23.     findStartIndex = substringEndIndex + 1
    24. Loop

Question Re: Change Color / Format Text

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    E.g.
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim findStartIndex = 0
    2. Dim openingChars = {"<"c, "("c, "{"c, "["c}
    3. Dim closingChars = {">"c, ")"c, "}"c, "]"c}
    5. Do
    6.     'Find the start of the next substring.
    7.     Dim substringStartIndex = RichTextBox1.Find(openingChars, findStartIndex)
    9.     If substringStartIndex = -1 Then
    10.         'No more substrings to find.
    11.         Exit Do
    12.     End If
    14.     Dim openingChar = RichTextBox1.Text(substringStartIndex)
    15.     Dim closingChar = closingChars(Array.IndexOf(openingChars, openingChar))
    17.     'Find the end of the current substring.
    18.     Dim substringEndIndex = RichTextBox1.Find({closingChar}, substringStartIndex + 1)
    20.     'Use substringStartIndex and substringEndIndex here.
    22.     'The next search starts after the current substring.
    23.     findStartIndex = substringEndIndex + 1
    24. Loop
    Based off your example, this is what I have written:
    Code:
      Dim findStartIndex = 0
                Dim openingChars = {"<"c}
                Dim closingChars = {">"c}

Do
                    'Find the start of the next substring.
                    Dim substringStartIndex = RichTextbox1.Find(openingChars, findStartIndex)

If substringStartIndex = -1 Then
                        'No more substrings to find.
                        Exit Do
                    End If

Dim openingChar = RichTextbox1.Text(substringStartIndex)
                    Dim closingChar = closingChars(Array.IndexOf(openingChars, openingChar))

'Find the end of the current substring.
                    Dim substringEndIndex = RichTextbox1.Find({closingChar}, findStartIndex + 1)

'Use substringStartIndex and substringEndIndex here.
                    RichTextbox1.Select(substringStartIndex + 1, substringEndIndex - 1)
                    RichTextbox1.SelectionColor = Color.Red

MsgBox(substringStartIndex & ", " & substringEndIndex)
                    'The next search starts after the current substring.
                    findStartIndex = substringEndIndex + 1
                Loop
    Now, I added a message box to display the indexes which are being highlighted. However, the very first instance is highlighted correctly. Everything following the first instance is jumbled and a mess. Here are some screen shots which I have.
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  9.3 KBName:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 58
Size:  15.8 KB

I did try messing with your loop and tried changing and moving a few of the values, but I really can't figure it out. Thank you for your help and patience.

Here is some example xaml code if you wanted to see exactly what I am sort of working with.
    HTML Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
        <configSections>
            <sectionGroup name="userSettings" type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
                <section name="K22_Swift_Repair.My.MySettings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false" />
            </sectionGroup>
        </configSections>
        <startup>
            <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.6.1" />
        </startup>
        <userSettings>

Maybe you should read the documentation for that Select method and learn what the parameters represent. Do you really want to select a substring that starts at index 61 and is 74 characters long?

Talking Re: Change Color / Format Text

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Maybe you should read the documentation for that Select method and learn what the parameters represent. Do you really want to select a substring that starts at index 61 and is 74 characters long?
    haha , I guess I should had looked at my own code!! This is what I have now, I won't be checking it out until later, but I do believe it will work.

vb.net Code:
    1. RichTextbox1.Select((substringStartIndex + 1), (substringEndIndex - substringStartIndex -1))
    2.                 RichTextbox1.SelectionColor = Color.Red

That seems right to me.