Thread: double post issues

PowerPoster

double post issues

are they ever going to do anything to fix the issues, as in this thread http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-Since-Upgrade from last july
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Re: double post issues

I sent the usual email just now... Last I heard is that they could fix it from happening but that it would mess up a LOT of existing threads.

The issue is tied to the "Highlighting" tag.

Fanatic Member

When you post and you are told that you need to wait 30 seconds, then your post went through already. You can scroll down below your edit to see the list of posts, with the most recent one(yours) on the top. If you wait 30 seconds and click Post, then that's a second post. So treat "wait 30 seconds" as a successful post, and just ignore it.

Easy for you to say. Moderators don't have the delay, as you can see from Steve's posts. I get the duplicate about 2/3 of the time, in which case I have to go back and delete the duplicate. It's gotten so routine that I'm used to going back and deleting my last post. One time it didn't double post and I deleted the one copy, by accident.

Frankly, I think there are two issues. The Highlighting tag is certainly an issue, as it always duplicates and adds some PHP lines, but duplicates happen even when there is no use of the highlighting tag, as is the case in this very thread. I find it hard to believe that the presence of the highlight tag somewhere on the forum is causing duplication in this very thread.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Fanatic Member

In my case, ignoring "wait 30 seconds" has been working 100% of the time since I started ignoring it in the last 50 to 100 posts or so.

Sinecure devotee

As stated, the Moderators don't have that option.

If you can get in the habit of hitting the "Go Advanced" button at the start of replying to a thread, then you will never double post either since the advanced reply page doesn't have the issue the "Quick Reply" 'inline' box has.

Fanatic Member

Quick reply test within 10 seconds.

Edit: Nope, no duplicates. I thought it might happen if I reply within 30 seconds of opening the thread. I will keep trying.

Was the auto-post recently added because of VBForums auto-logout. I wish someone would do away with both!

Sinecure devotee

Does VBForums have an auto-logout now?
    I know it logs you out if you don't select the "remember me" option when you log in. It has done that since I joined.
    I haven't noticed any auto-logouts, but I don't usually leave the sight up more than few hours unattended.

What does "Auto Post" mean?

The "wait 30 seconds" is adjustable and has always been around. It slows some spammer down a bit.

King of sapila

I just been used to hit the browser back button and then the navigate to this thread URL if it doesn't auto go back.
    It's not such a big of a deal really if you get used to it.

(I miss the old forum )
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    As stated, the Moderators don't have that option.

If you can get in the habit of hitting the "Go Advanced" button at the start of replying to a thread, then you will never double post either since the advanced reply page doesn't have the issue the "Quick Reply" 'inline' box has.
    I have now tested this. You can write your reply in the Quick Reply, then hit Go Advanced followed by submit from that page, and I haven never had a double post. If I start out in advanced, I also never have a double post. Therefore, this is an issue with the Quick Reply, which has long been a bit quirky.

With a quick enough connection, it's one more page load, which isn't so hard.....though getting the muscle memory in place IS hard.

Well, no progress has been made on this, so how about a simple, very-hackish, solution:

Passel noted that you NEVER get double posts when you hit Go Advanced. That appears to be true. Furthermore, you don't have to write the post in Go Advanced. You can write in the Quick Reply area, then press Go Advanced, then press Submit Reply from that page.

Therefore, if the Post Quick Reply was changed to be the functionality of Go Advanced followed by the functionality of the Submit Reply on the advanced page, the double posts would be gone. Sure, the user might see the page flash to the advanced page, but that would still be an improvement over the double posts.

PowerPoster

on the double post page, i am in the habit of just clicking the forum link in the breadcrumbs, as clicking the back button takes you back to the same thread,

another thing i miss since this problem started, if click back in any thread that you have made or edited a reply it no longer goes back to the page before (generally the forum page), just takes you back to the reply in the edit box, previously inline replies or edits, the back button just took me straight back to the forum page

since some previous update where they did something to the highlight tags (i don't remember what, now) and they were less friendly to use, i have just been using the code tags, i no longer see much code posted within highlight tags now, maybe that should all be re-evaluated, the highlight tags certainly presented the code better

maybe we should all look forward to (or dread) some future update

i don't know about any auto logout, it does happen to me but very seldom and i can be logged in in one browser tab, but another tab has forgotten me, and i never logout or shut down, so seldom log in and most times am remembered, when i do have to restart, either the browser or windows
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete