dcsimg

Thread: Modifying old VB6 code

Modifying old VB6 code

I have recently been tasked with modifying a ton of very old VB6 code. I've been trying to update it to vb.net but that is proving very frustrating! I was hoping to just use visual studio 6 to make quick changes, but I can't find visual studio 6 or vb6 compilers anywhere on the net. Does anyone know where I can find it or have any other suggestions on how to proceed. I'm at my wits end! Thank you.

PowerPoster

Re: Modifying old VB6 code

VB6 hasn't been sold for a very long time. The most reliable way to obtain it is through an expensive MSDN Subscription (these are now called "Visual Studio Subscriptions"). Aside from that you'd have to go fishing in the second-hand market for a copy.

VB6 was never free.

Because it is licensed to the individual developer and not to a group or company one solution might be to hire somebody already licensed to do this work.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jun 7th, 2019 at 01:13 PM.

For interest's sake I just looked on ebay and saw one for sale still sealed in its box.
    That's how I bought mine, but that was years ago.
    I presume the CDs would still be OK after all these years or is bit rot an issue?
    I know mine worked fine when I last used them in 2016

The info on CD lifetimes is pretty wildly varying. Figures I've glanced at range from 5-10 years to a study by the US Library of Congress suggesting some of their CDs will still bre readable in the 28th century. When did CDs first appear? I don't recall - Another report suggests the first generation of CDs are deteriorating rapidly now.
    At a guess, CDs still in sealed packaging will have been protected from light (UV could damage plastic), atmospherics (moisture/oxygen?) to some degree. I expect excess storage temperatures (hot/cold) would be the greatest risk.

IMO (not a legal opinion) provided you have bought a valid, unused, license key - where you get the installation media from shouldn't be an issue...

Well, I still have my original CDs (Aspen Enterprise) purchased in '98. Although I seldomly use the originals (I made several back-up copies in case something happens to an orig), I have in the recent past used one of the disks and it worked fine. Also, I have the original MSDN disks which I use occasionally. As long as you get a legal copy (WITH LICENSE), I suspect you'll have no problem reading the CD's.

PowerPoster

The life span definitely varies by CD. I have had some that were basically useless when new and others that had saw a lot of abuse and still worked fine.
    In my experience Memorex are the worst where Verbadim may be the best though Maxell has did very well for me also.

I created an auto cd on a Maxell disc that got loaned out and when it came back it looked like someone had taken sandpaper to it, 1000s of tiny scratches. still worked as good as new.
    I had a verbadim disc that I tried to destroy. I took a knife and made several deep scores across the entire cd, still read without issue.
    Memorex on the other hand I have found more that failed on the first read than that have worked.

I have not had any cds fail from age though I have heard of them cracking and even breaking in the drive. Mostly game cds that get used a lot but still.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSW17 View Post
    The info on CD lifetimes is pretty wildly varying. Figures I've glanced at range from 5-10 years to a study by the US Library of Congress suggesting some of their CDs will still bre readable in the 28th century. When did CDs first appear? I don't recall - Another report suggests the first generation of CDs are deteriorating rapidly now.
    At a guess, CDs still in sealed packaging will have been protected from light (UV could damage plastic), atmospherics (moisture/oxygen?) to some degree. I expect excess storage temperatures (hot/cold) would be the greatest risk.

IMO (not a legal opinion) provided you have bought a valid, unused, license key - where you get the installation media from shouldn't be an issue...
    The late 80s was the first time I can remember hearing about audio CDs. The big selling point was how much more durable they were than vinyl records, no chance of them getting scratched etc.
    I very much doubt that Microsoft would sue anyone for using vb6 without a licence.
    It could backfire on them the way the Mikerosoft affair did if the defendant proved ornery about it and demanded his day in court.

PowerPoster

Pressed CDs are quite different from dye-based writable ("burned") media too.

PowerPoster

The first audio cds I bought were in the late 80s. All of them still work just fine.
    The first CDs I bought for the PC were in the mid 90s and they also still worked the last time I tried them.

Filter:

many options at this link on Ebay....just make sure you buy from reputable seller (in case license/keys don't work).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...c+6.0&_sacat=0