dcsimg

Thread: what is the worth of C# in 2019 and onwards

Lively Member

what is the worth of C# in 2019 and onwards

Hi.
    After getting back to programming world, I'm little confuse that where to start again? The last thing I worked with was Android Programming. It was very charming, but I could not stay with that for more than 2 years. I worked a lot with that but every time I was working with Android, I was thinking that the interest/ beauty and peace I used to have in vb.net I might not have that in Android.

Therefore, after being aloof from Android and any other programming language, now I am planning that I could start working with .Net again. But this time not the vb.net BUT C#.

The reason for creating this thread is that when I worked last time in vb.net it was around 5 to 7 years ago. But now before diving into C#, I have this forum as the best place to ask anything about almost all the programming languages, particularly vb.net and C#.

Therefore I want to know that if I start C# from very scratch so where it can take me? I mean that does it have that worth as PYTHON, JAVA, JAVAScript have in market. Because during last few years, I've visited several software houses and companies, where I have seen that they are working with Android, PHP, SQL. Some of them are exploring newly emerging languages. I did not see any of them who are working with vb.net, C#, even most software houses have condemn that is there anyone who is still working with C# or vb.net.

Therefore, it is very important for me to know the worth of C# in 2019 and onwards.

So, the point is simple that If I want to start learning C# so is it a good option or not?

Please don't give your precious feedback with the word "YES" or "NO" type answers. At least write down couples of lines that I could grab some idea.

Thank you for all of you.

Re: what is the worth of C# in 2019 and onwards

So, the point is simple that If I want to start learning C# so is it a good option or not?

Please don't give your precious feedback with the word "YES" or "NO" type answers.
    Good, because it's not a yes or no question... It's not that simple... it's about what you want to do and what you are willing to do about it. I get emails almost daily for positions looking for .NET experience. in C#... almost none of it is near me though. At the moment I'm not willing to relocate due to family and community ties. But that's OK, because I've shifted my focus from .NET where it had been my focus for the last 14 years to Java and web development. So far I'm happy with that decision. While it's OK to concentrate and focus on a single technology or languge, don't become a one-trick pony either. That's a quick way to find yourself out to pasture. C# probably has a long life ahead of it. It's being supported in .NET Core 3 and with the new .NET 5 that's due to roll out next year. Here, at the company that I work for, specifically at the office I work at, a year ago it was strictly a Java-only shop... but they want to expand into .NET... and they just recently picked up a major contract with a TLA government organization we'd all know and recognize to do some work in .NET... so there is a future for it. You just might have to get out and look for it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

It depends.
    There are many threads here discussing that.
    For me, I would do the opposite of what you are thinking, IF, I wasn't working in a Multinational company that, apparently we swift data around and when the accounting department comes down here, we roll over and play dead.
    So I would be much better of going from C# (actually I persuaded everyone on the IT dept to use VB, TAKE THAT C#!) to android (for reasons discussed before, blah blah Microsoft will die blah blah yes no, mobile - pads are the future) and of course some kind of client side language for Javascript, or whatever comes along on the browsers.
    Again, I can't do that on the current company and working with large scale databases and distributing to many departments, that , they still would use excel to view data (and that my friends goes to show that old habits die hard, or new rabbits stew old, or something) bind to Analysis services is a nono for those kind of apps.
    So, what way you want to go, you figure out the tool. Personally I was bored of .net in less than a year. It's not something you will get excited by binding datagrids but it's my job.
    If I wanted to create games, I would either use C++ for serious games or Android programming (I suppose it's Java?) for poketmon poker mon of that with the birds fly around, can't recall the name.
    If I wanted to work with web programming, I would go with php and "your favorite JS client here".
    So to your original question and from what you are writing (unless I misunderstood) . No it's absolutely not worth working with C# or VB (I prefer VB of course (stupid brackets, grrrr) )
    Last edited by sapator; Jul 10th, 2019 at 01:38 PM.
    Slow as hell.

I'd say yes or no, but only to be difficult. There feels like a bigger question as to where we will be in five years than at any time in my memory. The two answers you have gotten thus far kind of show that. Will there be .NET? Absolutely, but it may be a multiplatform thing like .NET 5, in which case C# would be excellent and VB would be OK as long as you also were familiar with C# (they are both .NET, just different syntax). On the other hand, perhaps everything will go mobile. Personally, I don't believe that, because there isn't even a hint of leaving the desktop behind where I work. We've tried to push some mobile stuff, and the users have pushed back even more effectively. We're less mobile than we were two years back, with less Android than then.

So, what will the future hold? I haven't the slightest idea. I've long felt that the place we are working our way towards is a phone-sized hybrid that plugs into a docking station and becomes a desktop. I believe that to be the future that MS is working towards even though the technology isn't really there, yet. However, I'm beginning to doubt this endpoint. The trend towards more and more computing in a smaller and smaller space seems to have run up against the fact that tiny screens really suck for users. We live with tiny screens because we want tiny devices, but smart phones are growing larger and larger, with some of them being tablets in every way. The Surface Pro got a bigger screen (though less weight) a few generations back, and has stuck there. That may prove to be the limit: Small screens just don't show much, so trade larger screens and longer battery life for small size.

In any case, C# is likely to be a part of that...as is web. Knowing JavaScript is clearly useful, but I've always felt that it will eventually be replaced by something else, and I still feel that way, despite no realistic candidates appearing on the scene. One potential candidate might be WASM, which isn't one language, but a technology that many languages can work with, including C#. At this point, WASM has no means to access the DOM, as far as I can tell, so JS is still required to bridge the gap between WASM and the DOM, with WASM providing a faster client side performance.

It's all just speculation, though. It could be totally different next year.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

Ah.
    I just wanted to add that you should not be strict on what language or way you are going to choose.
    Meaning you must be able to evolve. If that time in the future requires C# then you must be able to switch from java to C# (just an example). If that time in the future everything leans toward cyborg manipulation, you must be able to switch to Cyborg++ . OK maybe I couldn't do that as I'm bad at mathematics but I would try to find as sector around cyborg manipulation that I can understand (p.e. cyborgsex database iterations) .
    And it comes to the part of, are you learning for a job candidate or are you learning for your personal thirst and joy? Or both? I was starting on assembly because I was very interested but I was rapidly cut down because I got a job as a system administrator - technical engineer on the Ministry of labor. From there forth I wasn't able to assemblize myself as I couldn't find the time. Currently I'm thinking that if I find a loophole in another area of expertise (like a gameshow host :P ) I would go for it. Just don't get a kick on programming as it basically is the same thing wrapped in a different cover, but assembly, boy oh boy, you get to explore each new CPU or GPU and every bus and every chip without restrictions! kudos for assembly!
    (Spoiler alert, please don't read forward if you value your taste on,er, reading)
    I've got some assembly books down at the ol' company and when I have time (never) I start reading, and then , the usual candidates from the @#$@#$ accounting department are missing 3,75 Euros for today! I mean you made a quarter of a mil today and you are missing your lousy 3,75 Euros! Oh sob oh the pain oh the sadness! ... Hmm, sorry about that it's the damn heat, we are on 40 Celsius all day and all night for about a week and I am still haven't got my holiday off! BUT IT'S COMMINGGGG!!! (Of course I will go for a swim rather than reading assembly when on holidays in Greece. That goes without saying).
    Slow as hell.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I mean that does it have that worth as PYTHON, JAVA, JAVAScript have in market.
    The short answer is yes, in the current jobs market C# is still a valuable skill the slightly longer answer as some people have already alluded to is geography can matter.

I live in Manchester England so in a city with a fairly vibrant tech scene, and there are plenty of jobs in Software generally and C# in particularly (although its mostly in web or mobile development so often you need to know more than just C# ie JavaScript/JQuery for Web Development)

You need to take into account what the jobs market is like were you live which you can do by doing a jobs search on the various jobs recruitment sites which at the least will give you an idea of demand in your area.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you