Thread: VB6 and VB.NET

Question VB6 and VB.NET

Can VB6 and VB.net exist together on the same Windows operating system? Specifically WIN7 and/or WIN10

Thanks

Re: VB6 and VB.NET

Yes. The two are basically unrelated as applications. You can even have multiple versions of VB.NET installed on the same system, because .NET was built with side-by-side installation in mind from the start, and many people do.

Thanks jmcilhinney for the quick turn around.
    Now for part 2 of the question. If this forum is not the correct place for the question, I apologize in advance. If that is the case can someone please direct me to the right forum.
    So the question. Does it matter which WIN10 system I use? (Pro, enterprise, etc)

Thanks

Sinecure devotee

I can't imagine that the version of the WIN10 system would make a difference.
    You can get the Visual Studio 2019 Community version for free and install that fairly easily. There are quite a few options depending on the type of applications you want to develop. Since you mention VB6 and VB.Net, I would assume you want to select Widows Desktop Development.

If you're thinking about installing VB6, then you must have the VS6 or VB6 installation disks already. There are some caveats about how to do the installation, e.g. install with elevated privileges, and select for the IDE to run elevated.

I already have vb6 running on WIN 7 and I have an old version of VB.net running on 2 different WIN XPs (one is XP, with no internet, the other is a VMXP on the WIN7 computer. My .net is very old. I will look into the free community version.
    Thanks