dcsimg

Thread: We are going to get the wall now...

We are going to get the wall now...

I guess now Mexico really is going to pay for the wall now. We already are making billions of dollars from the China tariffs according to Trump:

“Billions of Dollars are being paid to the United States by China in the form of Trade Tariffs!”
    — President Trump, in a tweet, Feb. 16, 2019

“The tariffs are bringing a tremendous amount of money to our Treasury.”
    — Trump, in remarks to the Cabinet, Feb. 12

“Those tariffs are costing them a lot of money, and they’re going into our Treasury; remember that, we’re filling up with billions of dollars.”
    — Trump, at a campaign rally in El Paso, Feb. 11
    Now that we are going to start making billions of dollars from the Mexico tariffs, we really can make Mexico pay for it.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...mmigrants-stop

I doubted Trump’s genius in the beginning but now that billions upon billions of dollars are being collected from China and soon from Mexico I don’t any more.

MAGA…
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Re: We are going to get the wall now...

well Germany got rid of the Wall, some say ...I would rather add another 2 meters in height..
    and then there are other that say... thank God it's gone no matter how much Money it's going to cost 'West Germany"

I'm not sure if one can compare this with the Wall that (perhaps) will be built in the US-Mexico Border
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Sinecure devotee

Since I've received several e-mails from various vendors, like high-end Ethernet switch vendors etc... informing that the price of their equipment is going up because of the tariffs with China, the tariffs largely make China the middle man in the transaction, and we're all paying for in any case. It isn't free money.

If you give someone a lot of money and they give some of it back to you, you're not actually making money.
    Its a relatively hidden tax on all of us.

Well, that was Tyson's point: WE pay the tariffs, not the Chinese. It isn't clear whether Trump understands that and is prevaricating, or whether he really doesn't understand how tariffs work.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

WES4DBT For President in 2020!!!!! Sounds like I can count on your VOTE.

PowerPoster

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Well, that was Tyson's point: WE pay the tariffs, not the Chinese. It isn't clear whether Trump understands that and is prevaricating, or whether he really doesn't understand how tariffs work.
    Yep...I would like someone to ask Trump, and him to answer: Mr. President, you continue to state the Chinese tariff are bringing in billions of dollars despite the majority of world economists, including your own, say that is just not true. Are you now maintaining we are bringing in billions more from Mexico if the tariff go into place?

Gee...why not put tariffs on the whole world, collect those trillions of dollars and hand it out, and we can all just quit working.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I just love the irony when you post something like this when I could just go out and lists dozens of examples of how the Trump administration is so much more egregious about the same things you post. Ivanka and Jarrod are all over the world ensuring when daddy leaves office they have networked via the US government and their nepotistic positions to profit for years after that stain has left office.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Jun 3rd, 2019 at 12:14 PM.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I can sum the first video up as:-
    "I used to run a business before China joined the WTO and had to pay export (nb, not import) tariffs"
    "China joined the WTO which meant that Export and Import Tariffs were removed"
    "Now companies can export from China to the US without paying Export Duties - I didn't use to be able to do that - China must be cheating"
    "As a solution, we're going to apply Import Duties in the US. That'll show them <whisper>even though it'll be US companies paying them</whisper>."

The reality of this is that China simply has a much larger and cheaper labour force than the US and expects much lower living standards. For that reason Chinese goods WILL be cheaper, no matter how you tinker with Tariffs. You can add a tariff here and a tariff there but you're just moving the deck chairs. It doesn't change the fundamental underlying reality.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jun 3rd, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Yeah, that first video was a guy that didn't do his homework before buying 1,000 T-Shirts. Nothing to do with tariffs. Ultimately tariffs mean higher prices for Chinese imports. If it cost them more, then they must charge more. Now I'm not saying all tariffs are bad, if they help level the playing field so American made products can compete, then that can be a good thing. But in some areas the price gap is just to big. Between cheap labor and government subsidies, the US can't compete.

The one area I would like to see the government step in is to protect our "Intellectual Properties". US companies in China have been asked to give up that knowledge if they want to continue doing business. With profits so high, a lot of the companies are complying.

Still barreling towards Monday.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Jun 10th, 2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Removed a bit.

We dodged a bullet but the president isn't done yet...he tweeted this just this morning:

“We have fully signed and documented another very important part of the Immigration and Security deal with Mexico, one that the U.S. has been asking about getting for many years. It will be revealed in the not too distant future and will need a vote by Mexico’s legislative body,” Trump tweeted.

“We do not anticipate a problem with the vote but, if for any reason the approval is not forthcoming, tariffs will be reinstated.”
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Jun 10th, 2019 at 09:07 AM.

I'm not thrilled with the president's actions, either, but keep it civil. Politics are a touchy subject for a programming forum.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm not thrilled with the president's actions, either, but keep it civil. Politics are a touchy subject for a programming forum.
    Will do...