Thread: [RESOLVED] query to get a row with MAX date and one other column

Resolved [RESOLVED] query to get a row with MAX date and one other column

My problem is the same as this one here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...axother-column

There were four solutions to that question and I am trying to implement the first, honestly because I don't understand CTE, rank and row_number all that well.

Here is my code:
    Code:
    SELECT inv.item_id,  INV.order_no, date_created
      FROM p21.dbo.p21_view_invoice_line INV
      JOIN (SELECT MAX(t.date_created) AS maxDate
              FROM p21.dbo.p21_view_invoice_line t
             WHERE t.item_id = 'SA_BOZ_161') b ON b.maxDate = INV.date_created
     WHERE INV.item_id = 'SA_BOZ_161'
    And it works. There are 7 rows that are item_id SA_BOZ_161 and I get back one with an order_no of 1042272 for the most recent date of 1-15-2018. Once that query returned that row I thought I was done, but I am having a problem with it when I don't specify the item_id. How do I remove the item_id criterion so it will run for all item_id's? I've tried these and they are not right.

Code:
     SELECT INV.order_no, date_created
      JOIN (SELECT MAX(t.date_created) AS maxDate
              FROM p21.dbo.p21_view_invoice_line t) b ON b.maxDate = INV.date_created
    That gave me 5 rows total. They are duplicates. The order_no is nnnnnn and the date_created is an hour ago, which is obviously the max date in the entire table.

I tried this:
    Code:
      JOIN (SELECT MAX(t.date_created) AS maxDate, item_id
              FROM p21.dbo.p21_view_invoice_line t group by item_id) b ON b.maxDate = INV.date_created
    join dms1.dbo.xtblContracts contr on contr.SABillItem = inv.item_id
    where deleted = 0
    Because ultimately I will have to join to other tables so I thought I would start throwing them in. xtblContracts has a "deleted" flag so I don't want those records. But when I ran this I got 431 rows (I should get 142), for example the same item_id with a different order_no and different date_created.

My boss asked me to do this, this morning. I told her it wasn't as straightforward as just doing a sql MAX(date_created) function to also get the order_no. She said it was a "nice to have" not necessary to have it, but really am I going to say no I can't do this to her? I feel like I'm almost there!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: query to get a row with MAX date and one other column

Code:
      JOIN (SELECT MAX(t.date_created) AS maxDate, item_id
              FROM p21.dbo.p21_view_invoice_line t group by item_id) b ON b.maxDate = INV.date_created AND b.item_id = INV.item_id
    join dms1.dbo.xtblContracts contr on contr.SABillItem = inv.item_id
    where deleted = 0
    You need to join on the date AND the ID...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thank you! I totally switched gears and don't want to end the week in a bad mood so I'll try this when I'm done!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Yes, that is exactly what I was missing! Thanks again!