dcsimg

Thread: Crazy Question msvbvm60.dll

Hyperactive Member

Crazy Question msvbvm60.dll

So hopefully this does not annoy the super experts here but I just want to ask a question.

I was diagnosing a dll and was using depends.exe. In there I saw the msvbvm60.dll and all the c functions in it. So it got me thinking.

Would it be possible to create a msvbvm60.dll that is cross platform? There are a bunch of functions, but many seem pretty straight forward.

It means that the vb6 code for forms and classes and modules would still need a cross platform compiler ...

Just wondering if anyone has looked into it?

I am still waiting for the first rev of my lazarus conversion, I am just wondering if lazarus vb6 code interpreter, and a cross platform msvbvm60.dll is feasable.

WP

Re: Crazy Question msvbvm60.dll

Hi axisdj,

I definitely think this whole idea is tilting at windmills. But, there are (at least) two ways you could define cross-platform: 1) non-Windows OS but still x86 CPU, or 2) something running a non-x86 CPU.

IMHO, the second case is WAY WAY out there (for VB6 code ever running on it. The first case is also WAY out there, but not quite as far. The first thing we must realize that a VB6 compiled program not only needs msvbvm60.dll. Just as a start, it also needs all the core Windows API calls. So, we'd be talking about limiting ourselves to something like Wine.

Actually, I don't have any experience with Wine, but I believe the msvbvm60.dll will just natively run on it. So, IMHO, it's not so much about msvbvm60.dll, as it is x86 and/or all the Windows API calls.

Now, just because you don't make any API declarations, don't mistakenly think that they're not being made. They absolutely are. The compiler just isn't bothering you with all those details.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; May 22nd, 2019 at 03:36 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Hyperactive Member

Re: Crazy Question msvbvm60.dll

Here is the VB6 IDE running under Linux/Wine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0iryPOn-pI