PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
VS 2019 [RESOLVED] A trick to not have a solitary TextBox focused on form load.-VBForums

Thread: [RESOLVED] A trick to not have a solitary TextBox focused on form load.

Resolved [RESOLVED] A trick to not have a solitary TextBox focused on form load.

I have no question, I only want to share a trick I found. I thought maybe someone else could benefit.
    I wanted a non-modal MessageBox but that's impossible. I took the common advice to create a simple form. I didn't want the message to wrap so I couldn't use a label so used a read only TextBox. But my problem was when I showed the form, the text was selected. I saw many people had this problem and most suggested adding another control to set focus to. But that seemed inelegant but I tried it anyway. When I was considering the tab index, I had a thought. I removed my other control and set TabStop to false. Et Voilą! Now when I load the form the TextBox, solitary control, isn't focused.

Re: A trick to not have a solitary TextBox focused on form load.

It sounds like you have found the best solution in this particular case but there may be other cases where you do want to be able to Tab to that control, so you want TabStop set to True, but you don't want a control to have focus initially. In that case, you can handle the Shown event of the form and set the ActiveControl to Nothing.

That said, I don't really understand why you aren't using a Label in the first place. If you set the AutoSize property of the Label to True, which it is by default, then the text won't wrap. If you want to size the form based on the size of the Label then you simply set the Text of the Label in the Load event handler, then get the Size of the Label, then set the Size of the form based on that.

As an example, I just did this:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Public Class MyMessageBox
    3.     Private message As String
    5.     Private Sub New(message As String)
    6.         ' This call is required by the designer.
    7.         InitializeComponent()
    9.         ' Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call.
    10.         Me.message = message
    11.     End Sub
    13.     Public Overloads Shared Sub Show(message As String)
    14.         Dim instance As New MyMessageBox(message)
    16.         instance.Show()
    17.     End Sub
    19.     Private Sub MyMessageBox_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    20.         Dim widthDifference = Width - Label1.Width
    21.         Dim heightDifference = Height - Label1.Height
    23.         Label1.Text = message
    25.         Size = New Size(Label1.Width + widthDifference, Label1.Height + heightDifference)
    26.     End Sub
    28. End Class
    and it worked just as expected. The form was sized based on whatever text I passed in when calling Show, whether it was long or short and whether or not it contained line breaks. I had a Button on the form with its Anchor set to Bottom, Right, so it remained in the correct position regardless of wht the text was.

That's cool. I'm going to have to play with that later.

It took me forever to come back to this. Been hectic lately.
    I misspoke. I mean I do want it to wrap. Sometimes the error is an HTTP or SQL error and can be long and need to wrap. But I don't see any way to have a label wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by cory_jackson View Post
    But I don't see any way to have a label wrap.
    Given that I said this:
    If you set the AutoSize property of the Label to True, which it is by default, then the text won't wrap.
    the logical inference should be that the text WILL wrap if you set AutoSize to False. The text will then wrap when it fills the width of the Label. You obviously have to set the height big enough to display the additional lines of text. You can measure the text to determine how much space it occupies if that's what you want to use to determine the height of the form. Alternatively, don't use a Label and just draw the text on the form. The standard WinForms MessageBox class would presumably use one of those two methods. Have you considered looking at the source for that class to see how it does it?
    Last edited by jmcilhinney; Jun 23rd, 2019 at 08:18 PM.

I'm glad you came back to this. I didn't see it the first time around, but while reading it today I was totally puzzled as to why you wouldn't want the text to wrap. Fortunately, you clarified the situation.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Thanks John. I was ignorant about the AutoSize property. Yours is a better method. I can size it and anchor it on all 4 sides and it works perfectly.