dcsimg

Thread: Creating 3D objects in space

Creating 3D objects in space

dilettante has whetted my appetite for 3D objects by using CreatObject to print documents with an automation interface in another thread.

I have three applications where I use 3D physical object visualizations and they are in structural analysis of 3D objects, in digital terrain models and in water pipes.
    In all three I have to use the Polygon API to draw rotated and translated 2D images of 3D objects.

In structural analysis with basic geometrical objects it is not too difficult although the process of rotating and translating the objects gets involved, as I have to rotate their 3D coordinates by rotating and translating their coordinate matrices every time a new viewpoint is selected.
    In digital terrain models it is more complex, as I have to do involved algorithms with Delauney triangulations to represent the surface of the earth on 2D polygons of 3D triangles.
    In water pipes it is even more complex as I must move 3D packets of water parcels in real time visually through pipes. This was done with the polygon API as well. There is another thread on the forum where I have accomplished this with the Polygon API with the help of members here.

However, if I could use CreatObject to create these 3D objects which know what they are and how they move in 3D space, I can just place them in space without these involved calculations.
    Are there members who have worked with this before?

Thanks
    PK

Re: Creating 3D objects in space

One such instance of real time 3D can be viewed here:

http://www.warframe.com/game/warframes/vauban

PK

Sinecure devotee

Re: Creating 3D objects in space

Based on that it sounds like you want to move to a 3D library like DirectX, OpenGL, etc...
    Since you mentioned terrain mapping, perhaps trying some of Mikle's examples can inspire you.
    I haven't made my own terrain mapping application based on his, but somewhere I did look at modifying some of the code or data to see if I could have an effect on the output and just start to understand how the code work and that I could built and run changes to it.
    But, I didn't even scratch the surface. I don't even think I left a blemish, just a bit of a smudge.

p.s. Never mind. I tried the following links, and while the links in the threads worked in the past, they either don't exist any longer, or are flagged as being embedded with viruses in Windows 10 or various virus checkers. Scratch one 3D programming in VB6 resource, I guess...
    Endless Terrain.

Speed Race Game

Pilot School
    Last edited by passel; May 14th, 2019 at 04:27 AM.