Thread: [RESOLVED] double cursors usage

King of sapila

Resolved [RESOLVED] double cursors usage

Hi.
    I'm trying to use a cursor inside a cursor.
    As an initial attempt it seemed to work with just to cursor inside each other but then I used it on an insert and it hanged out.
    I believe there is some issues with the @@FETCH_STATUS value used on both
    As a result I have modified the cursors and I wanted to ask if the below is correct.

Thanks.

Code:
      DECLARE MYC CURSOR FAST_FORWARD READ_ONLY FOR 
         SELECT Cinema_strCode, Cinema_strServerName, Cinema_strDatabaseName, Cinema_strUserId, Cinema_strPWD
        FROM tblCinema
       	where Cinema_strCode in (01,11)
    	ORDER BY Cinema_strCode

OPEN MYC
        FETCH NEXT FROM MYC INTO @CinemaCode, @CinemaServerName, @CinemaDatabaseName, @CinemaUserID, @CinemaPwd

SET @Outer_loop = @@FETCH_STATUS
        WHILE @Outer_loop = 0

BEGIN

EXECUTE @RC = spSYSConnectToServer @CinemaServerName, @CinemaDatabaseName, @CinemaUserID, @CinemaPwd
            IF @RC <> 0    
            BEGIN
    		-- GOTO ERROR_POINTMYC
    		print 'error'
    		return
    		End
    		else
    		begin
    		print 'Checking'
    		end		

INSERT INTO @LocationTVP ( trans )
          SELECT  transaction_POStransactionId
          FROM    #tempL 
    	  Where transaction_membershipid = @membershipid
    	  AND CinemaID = @CinemaCode

----* IF 1
    	  if (Select count(trans) from @LocationTVP) > 0 
    	  BEGIN
    	  print 'tr'

/*Loop second cursor */

DECLARE MYCIN CURSOR FAST_FORWARD READ_ONLY FOR 
        SELECT trans
        FROM @LocationTVP

OPEN MYCIN
        FETCH NEXT FROM MYCIN INTO @LocationTVPI

Set @inner_loop = @@FETCH_STATUS
        WHILE @Inner_loop = 0

--  WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0 
        BEGIN

set @SqlString = N'exec DWCINEMASRV.Vrlob.dbo.sojrs @param1'
        set @ParamDef = N'@param1 int'

print @LocationTVPI

EXECUTE sp_executesql @SqlString ,@ParamDef, @param1 = @LocationTVPI

FETCH NEXT FROM MYCIN INTO @LocationTVPI
    		 Set @inner_loop = @@FETCH_STATUS
        END

CLOSE MYCIN
        DEALLOCATE MYCIN

IF @RCREMOTE <> 0   
    		BEGIN
    		--GOTO ERROR_POINTMYC
    		print 'error'
    		return
    		END	 
    	  ELSE
    	  BEGIN
    	  print 'ok'
    	  END

--* IF 1  -- IF PER CURSOR ENDS HERE
    	  END

-- Clear table
    	  delete from @LocationTVP

FETCH NEXT FROM MYC INTO @CinemaCode, @CinemaServerName, @CinemaDatabaseName, @CinemaUserID, @CinemaPwd
    		 SET @Outer_loop = @@FETCH_STATUS
        END

CLOSE MYC
        DEALLOCATE MYC
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Re: double cursors usage

Can you put the second cursor into a stored procedure of it's own??

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Personally I'm not a fan of cursors in the first place. I'd dump the results of the select from the first cursor into a table var, which would include either an IDENTITY field, or use the ROW_NUMBER() function to get a sequential number. Then I'd use a loop to get the rows out one by one until there's no more to process. For the second cursor. I'd probably do something similar... but I can't see how exactly the data was put in ... where did #tempL come from?

Regardless... I'm not a fan of cursors, so I loop to other means of looping through the data when I can. I haven't run in to a case where a cursor was the only way.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I've used cursors inside a cursor loop before with no issues.... Not the best code of the fastest but it got the one time job done in reasonable time
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

King of sapila

Hi.
    This wouldn't have been an issue as I would have passed it to a Table-Valued Parameters. Unfortunately whatever i tried just errored out saying that Linked server does not support Table-Valued Parameters.
    It supposedly would work with a sp_executesql . Supposedly as it still said the same dam thing. So I used a cursor to iterate the transactions of the rows one by one.

I script out #tempL . The main issue is to pass the @LocationTVP to a Linked server. The server said what I wrote above. Yes I could probably do what techgnome suggested but I was in a cursor mood. as I wrote the external already and I had to proceed fast on this solution.

But is the cursor OK as I've wrote it? Can you see any issues?
    Last edited by sapator; May 9th, 2019 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Personally I'm not a fan of cursors in the first place. I'd dump the results of the select from the first cursor into a table var, which would include either an IDENTITY field, or use the ROW_NUMBER() function to get a sequential number. Then I'd use a loop to get the rows out one by one until there's no more to process. For the second cursor. I'd probably do something similar... but I can't see how exactly the data was put in ... where did #tempL come from?

Regardless... I'm not a fan of cursors, so I loop to other means of looping through the data when I can. I haven't run in to a case where a cursor was the only way.

-tg
    I also prefer to use a TABLE VAR with Row_Number() or some other natural key for looping.

The only place I ever ran into a problem with this and NEEDED TO USE A CURSOR, was when the number of rows was large. CURSOR's will scale very large. TABLE VAR's do not scale well.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I've cast an eye over it in Management Studio and it looks OK but it's not easy to tell without running it.

You're checking Fetch_Status correctly so it should exit both the inner and the outer cursors appropriately. If it hangs I think it will be because of something else rather than the cursor itself.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Hi.
    This wouldn't have been an issue as I would have passed it to a Table-Valued Parameters. Unfortunately whatever i tried just errored out saying that Linked server does not support Table-Valued Parameters.
    It supposedly would work with a sp_executesql . Supposedly as it still said the same dam thing. So I used a cursor to iterate the transactions of the rows one by one.

I script out #tempL . The main issue is to pass the @LocationTVP to a Linked server. The server said what I wrote above. Yes I could probably do what techgnome suggested but I was in a cursor mood. as I wrote the external already and I had to proceed fast on this solution.

I never said anythign about passing the TV to an sproc, let alone one on a linked server... I said to use a TV and loop through it INSTEAD of using a cursor the way you are...

The reason you can't pass a TV as a parameter to a linked server is because it has no way of knowing if the remote server knows anything about the TV definition. It wouldn't do any good to pass an Orange to the linked server if that server then looks at it and goes "what the heck is this?" And no, I don't think it would do any good to define it in both locations. ... each would be in a different schema... it's like defineing the same class in two namespaces... their Fully Qualified Name ends up being different, and as . result, they are two completely distinctly different things.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Thanks all.
    Techgnome. You misunderstood. I said that I wanted to pass a TV to a sproc in linked server but I get denied. And yes I have defined it in both locations and is as you said. It does not play along.
    If I would use a loop I would do multiple execs in linked server with a simple int value. I can't see any other way if I can't pass the TV. Would be nice tho if we can create an exact same TV in both links and it would work. You are defining an exact same type in both servers. I would expect it to work but it doesn't.

Re: [RESOLVED] double cursors usage

Actually... you can... but you need to think laterally... Select the data you want, add a FOR XML clause to it and shape the results into an XML string... pass the XML string to your sproc on the linked server, which can then shred the XML back into it's table format and into a table var on that end and use the data...

-tg

King of sapila

Hi.
    Yes yes, I've read this, forgot to mention it. Found it a bit more difficult to do so as then I would have to debug XML'D data for sensitive information.

King of sapila

Found some time so I'm trying to implement a loop here.
    Does the below looks OK? (it's not the initial SQL code by I will convert it)
    Code:
    --inside cinema loop

DECLARE @table1 TABLE (trans int )

declare @trans int

insert into @table1
    SELECT trans
    FROM @LocationTVP

while exists (select * from @table1)
    begin

set @trans=(  select top 1 trans = trans
        from @table1
        order by trans asc)

exec MYsproc @trans

-- remove from loop
    	Delete @table1 Where trans = @trans

end
    Thanks.

It's not quite the way I would have done it... but if you understand how it works, and it works for you... that's what matters.

If you're interested, this is how I would have gone about it:
    Code:
    declare @tmpTable table (rowNum IDENTITY(1,1) not null, trans int)
    Insert into @tmpTable (trans) 
    select trans from @LoationTVP

Declare @RowNum int = 1
    Declare @Trans int

while exists (select * from @tmpTable where RowNum = @owNum)
    begin 
     select @Trans = trans from @tmpTable where RowNum = @RowNum
     exec MySproc @Trans
     Set @RowNum = @RowNum + 1
    end

-tg

I always use this technique. I like to use IS / IS NOT NULL for it's natural purpose...

Code:
    	Set @DocId=(Select Min(DocId) From @BD)
    	While @DocId is not null
    	Begin
    		Select @DocName=DocName
    				,@StoredFileName=StoredFileName
    				,@FormDescr=FormDescr
    				From @BD --AWCDocuments_T
    				Where DocId=@DocId
    		Set @DocId=(Select Min(DocId) From @BD Where DocId>@DocId)
    	End

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

Thanks for the examples.
    I completely understand techgnome's example but I'm a little skeptic about szlamany. My thought is on the "min" from what I understand is that docid will eventually NULL out when there is no small id.
    It's not your fault and probably forgot to mention that we may end up with rows that my have "id=1 , cinema =2 and id=1 cinema=3" so the same id multiple times. So @docID would probably have to be some unique id (such as
    IDENTITY ) if so then we will end up on something close to techgnome's example?
    Thanks.

@sapator - if you did not have a naturally occurring numeric key, then a Row_Number() would do it for you...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

Hi.
    I'm checking my queries and I've been using rank() OVER instead. Is there any difference?
    Thanks.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

This thread gives a pretty good description of the differences. You'll only see a difference if more than one row would appear in the same place according to the Order By - e.g. two rows have the same Cinema where you're ordering by Cinema. If you're ordering by a unique key they'll return the same result.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

Hi.
    I will be ordering by cinema and transaction id " select rank() OVER (ORDER BY cinemaid,transactionid ).....
    You cannot have a cinema with the same transactionid but you can have 2 cinemas that transactions may be the same.
    Does rank qualify here?
    thanks

imo, RowNumber is designed to serve out unique row numbers based on ORDER BY

Rank() has a specific purpose - as in assigning CLASS RANK for students in higher ed. That CLASS RANK will be "same value" for those with SAME SORT values - so you could get 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 6, 7, 8.

Since Rank() has this feature it should only be used when you need to have this functionality, imo.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

Just reviewed the queries I've ranked. I can't quite understand what I was writing back then but it seems that we needed some commonly used vouchers ranked together.
    So I guess I did that back then. I think rank will also be working here but as per your answers I should be better of using Row_Number() .
    Thanks.