Thread: .Net 5 info

.Net 5 info

Some interesting information here:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...platform-apps/

Re: .Net 5 info

That's a pretty interesting development, but since it's not a programming question, I moved it to General Developer. After all, it seems like a pretty general development for general developers.

I've been holding back on .NET Core as it has gone through some growth. I intend to try out Core 3.0, as it feels like the features have matured enough to benefit me...except that I don't want to be too early an adopter of anything from MS. This .NET 5 sounds like a great step in the right direction.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

From what I've heard from Kathleen Dollard (PM at Microsoft) when chatting with her on the phone last week was .NET Framework is not going any farther, .NET Core is the future. Kathleen also talks about this on Wednesday at Microsoft Build event here.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

.NET Framework is not going any farther, .NET Core is the future.
    My sources are less "horses mouth" than yours but that's what I've been hearing too.

I'm 90% a DBA these days but our devs seem to have been singing Core praises pretty loudly for some time now.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I'm 90% a DBA these days but our devs seem to have been singing Core praises pretty loudly for some time now.
    If your devs sing as well as the ones I work with, that would probably keep the surrounding area pretty well devoid of life.

That sounds like the usual Microsoft procedure - get something almost to where it has everything needed to be a killer platform, then dump it for something else that is still only half developed.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    That sounds like the usual Microsoft procedure - get something almost to where it has everything needed to be a killer platform, then dump it for something else that is still only half developed.
    I suppose that really depends on the migration options available to go from the old to the new, which historically have been poor to non-existent...

Playing around with dotnetcore 3 though things seem a hell of a lot better. After installing VS 2019 and the latest core3 preview I had virtually no trouble in taking an older .Net app (Framework 2.0 and winforms) and migrating it to core3 and having it compile and run without issues.

I ended up trying this with several old applications of varying framework versions and several open source winform projects from github and I think I managed to get everysingle one converted and working in under five minutes each.

It would really be nice if it were that easy for every older Vb .Net program.

It would also be nice if you could get them running on non-Windows OSes also.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Actually this is the opposite of that, they have basically rebuilt .Net from the ground up to make it cross platform and open source, and Framework independent. Kind of what they should have done in the first place.

It would also be nice if you could get them running on non-Windows OSes also.
    With .Net core you can, bar the Windows form projects which are tightly bound to windows controls and i expect they decided it just wasn't worth the huge effort involved considering most people are not developing new desktop applications if they can help it.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    With .Net core you can, bar the Windows form projects which are tightly bound to windows controls and i expect they decided it just wasn't worth the huge effort involved considering most people are not developing new desktop applications if they can help it.
    I suppose a well written windows application, i.e. UI and logic in separate projects could go a long way to helping with this - the logic code moves direct to the new framework, the windows UI moves direct to the new framework and then something like Avalonia could be used for the non-windows clients and probably the windows clients as well in future.

That's my expectation with Core 3. I expect to move some middle layers over, while leaving the front end in WinForms (or a blend of a variety of things, really). For something like that, the .NET Framework becoming stable is only a good thing. The VB6 people complained about the framework for a long time, but these days, you just pass along the exe, because the framework is already there as part of the OS. As long as the Framework isn't changing, then it becomes as easy to ignore as the VB6 framework has been. If it is just the UI component, then that's even better.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

That's my expectation with Core 3. I expect to move some middle layers over, while leaving the front end in WinForms
    You can move your Winforms project across completely now to .Net core if you want, but it doesn't yet have a forms designer so in many ways i expect your approach will be a fairly common one. From what i have heard the Forms designer will be coming in .Net 5.

but these days, you just pass along the exe, because the framework is already there as part of the OS.
    .Net core ( and going forward .Net 5) package the parts of the framework you are using in your deployment so you dont actually need any framework installed on an OS already.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

You can move your Winforms project across completely now to .Net core if you want, but it doesn't yet have a forms designer so in many ways i expect your approach will be a fairly common one. From what i have heard the Forms designer will be coming in .Net 5.
    In the fall there will be a form designer

In the fall there will be a form designer

King of sapila

Why is this starting to remind me of the missing startup button in w8 :P
    I wanted to ask if we know the hardware specs, give or take, because currently my home PC or the Work PC can't handle the latest vs releases.I'm in 2015 and it has an "acceptable" behavior by I can't upgrade as time is essential here and I'm handling multiple projects so I can't wait 10 minutes for VS to start and another 5 to debug (i know i know, I need a new PC but the budgets is going mainly on new servers and we get stuck with the "oldies" ) but kudos on dumping the form designer at first. It's so "Microsoft" of them.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

How much of this is driven by Azure and Azure's moves away from Windows and into Linux? More profit to be made pushing users into renting centralized resources and demoting desktops to terminal devices.