dcsimg

Thread: Function vs Macro

Addicted Member

Function vs Macro

For curiosity only.

What is the difference between a Function and a Macro?

C++ has some macros MAKELONG macro for example.

To me it is a function -> something IN, something else OUT

I always thought of a Macro as something where for example where you would record keystrokes with SendKeys

Re: Function vs Macro

It's been a while, but I think this is how I remember it...
    It's a different kind of macro. The kind of macro you're thinking of is the kind that's in Office... where a key combination is tied to a piece of code of some kind.
    A macro in C++ is a bit different. It's a code macro. Actually, they are analogous to each other... a macro is a piece of code that's tied to a shortcut invoker of some kind. In Office, that invoker is a key combination, in C/C++ it's a NAME. When you create a macro, you give it a name, then when you use that name in the code, that gets replaced with that piece of code... it doesn't run that code - and that's where it is different from a function - but it copies that code into that spot. It's also possible (if I remember right) to create a macro that allows parameter input that then modifies the macro output (in which case, it's similar to a function) but it still doesn't actually execute that macro, it simply replaces the place holder with the definition of the macro.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Some language implementations are more powerful than others too. In some cases the compiler or preprocessor accepts a more complete version of the language syntax in its macros, but most only take a small subset.

In VB6 we got very little. Just the tiny conditional compilation subset of #Const and #If/#Else, but no named macros at all.

Hyperactive Member

In simple English, macros are just text substitution, done on-the-fly before compilation begins. VB doesn't have much, but not often known is that you can define #Const globally by putting them in Project-->Properties-->Make tab-->Conditional Compilation. If you have more than one constant, you can separate them by ":". Example:

DEBUG = 1 : DEMO = 1

To disable them temporarily, use:

DEBUG = 0 : DEMO = 0

PowerPoster

You can also supply values on the command line, but most people don't do a lot of batch compiling.

Addicted Member

OK thanks guys.
    It's beginning to make sense to me.

Fanatic Member

> "What is the difference between a Function and a Macro?"

First important distinction: VB doesn't have macros. :-)

In C++, macros are a sort of "inline functions" that are injected by the pre-processor. It basically re-writes your code in memory, substituting the "definition" of each Macro. This can be quite complex, because Macros can take arguments!

Code:
    #define getmax(a,b) ((a)>(b)?(a):(b))

int value = getmax( 37, strlen( (*aarvark)->name) );
    The pre-processor rewrites the source code on the fly, replacing it with this:

Code:
    #define getmax(a,b) ((a)>(b)?(a):(b)) (Now just a comment)

int value = ((37)>(strlen( (*aarvark)->name) ))?(37):(strlen( (*aarvark)->name) )));
    Now you being to understand why [good] Macro authors are a tad "liberal" with their brackets!

If you really have to have something like this, the closest we have is Conditional Compilation.

Regards, Phill W.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phill.W View Post
    First important distinction: VB doesn't have macros. :-)
    One could add macros to VB by making an Add-in. See this post for hidden events(BeginCompile/EnterDesignMode/EnterRunMode) that tells you when a compilation begins, and the post after about how to cancel the compilation. Once you make the substitutions, you can trigger the compilation by sending a message mentioned in that post to the VB IDE.