dcsimg

Thread: How to communicate with a USB device from my program?

How to communicate with a USB device from my program?

It might not be clear from the title but I will try to make it as simple as I could.

I want to get a new PC with only windows 7 or 10 on it, then I want to make a program that runs once windows starts and it should prevent the user from exploring anything on this pc but using this program only.So this whole PC is only working for this program.

The other thing is I want to provide I USB device with the program and the user can't use the program without plunging in this USB device which communicates with the program every one minute to tell the program if still plugged in.

So my questions are:

Can this USB device be a normal USB flash memory?
    Where I can find a tutorial that explains how to communicate with this device to do its job?

If there is any extra information on this topic I'm so thankful.
    Last edited by Joye; Apr 24th, 2019 at 01:40 PM.

Re: How to communicate with a USB device from my program?

Quote Originally Posted by Joye View Post
    It might not be clear from the title but I will try to make it as simple as I could.

I want to get a new PC with only windows 7 or 10 on it, then I want to make a program that runs once windows starts and it should prevent the user from exploring anything on this pc but using this program only.So this whole PC is only working for this program.
    Iv'e done this with Windows 8.1 touchscreen PC, you can restrict it to run only the named app using Powershell. About making a Dongle, that's what they call them, like an AutoCad license key, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SamCam15 View Post
    Iv'e done this with Windows 8.1 touchscreen PC, you can restrict it to run only the named app using Powershell. About making a Dongle, that's what they call them, like an AutoCad license key, I don't know.
    Thats great ����
    So please share your experience if possible and where I can find the instructions for that..

For the next part, yes it is the same and I hope and I’m sure someone could help with something about it soon.

For the first part, what you're looking for is running your app in Kiosk mode ... which is simple enough... getting it out of kiosk mode can be a little harder, but not impossible.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    For the first part, what you're looking for is running your app in Kiosk mode ... which is simple enough... getting it out of kiosk mode can be a little harder, but not impossible.

-tg
    That was really helpful ��
    Thank you for the keyword I was looking for ����

Still wating for the second part of my Question and I believe it’s called somehow a (Dongle) and you cant use the app without it.