Thread: Application Installation

Application Installation

I developed a VB.net application. Around 10 people using it from different regions. Database is centralized. My issue is : each time I make some correction in my application, I need to individually call all these 10 people to update it in their system. I find it a bit difficult. Any idea to simplify my task ?

Re: Application Installation

Hi, personnaly I'm using that, you need to call it from the form load, it check if you have done an update and restard with the new version !

VB.NET Code:
    1. Private Sub InstallUpdate()
    2.         If ApplicationDeployment.IsNetworkDeployed Then
    3.             Dim updateAvailable As Boolean = False
    4.             Dim ad As ApplicationDeployment = ApplicationDeployment.CurrentDeployment
    6.             Try
    7.                 updateAvailable = ad.CheckForUpdate()
    8.             Catch dde As DeploymentDownloadException
    9.                 'MessageBox.Show("The application cannt check for the existence of a new version at this time. " & vbLf & vbLf & "Please check your network connection, or try again later. Error.")
    10.                 'MessageBox.Show("Un problème est apparu, l'application va redémarer afin de terminer la recherche de mise à jour." & vbLf & vbLf & "Si le problème persiste, vérifiez votre connexion internet ou réessayez plus tard. Error.")
    11.                 Application.Restart()
    12.                 Return
    13.             Catch ide As InvalidDeploymentException
    14.                 MessageBox.Show("The application cannot check for an update. The ClickOnce deployment is corrupt. Please redeploy the application and try again. Error: " & ide.Message)
    15.                 Return
    16.             Catch ioe As InvalidOperationException
    17.                 MessageBox.Show("This application cannot check for an update. This most often happens if the application is already in the process of updating. Error: " & ioe.Message)
    18.                 Return
    19.             End Try
    21.             If updateAvailable Then
    22.                 Try
    23.                     ad.Update()
    24.                     MessageBox.Show("L'application a bien été mise à jour! Elle va maintenent rédémarrer.", "Update", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
    25.                     Application.Restart()
    26.                 Catch dde As DeploymentDownloadException
    27.                     MessageBox.Show("Cannot install the latest version of the application. Either the deployment server is unavailable, or your network connection is down. " & vbLf & vbLf & "Please check your network connection, or try again later. Error: " & dde.Message)
    28.                 Catch tnge As TrustNotGrantedException
    29.                     MessageBox.Show("The application cannot be updated. The system did not grant the application the appropriate level of trust. Please contact your system administrator or help desk for further troubleshooting. Error: " & tnge.Message)
    30.                 End Try
    31.             End If
    32.         End If
    33.     End Sub

I had the same issue one day and I find this code, I put some message box in French, but the main purpose is here

@ Mac. This is the first time I put a windows application with a centralized server. So I need to learn and acquire more information about the Internet deployment you have mentioned. Can you show some source ?

I'm sorry, for now I just code some little application for my work and each time, it was on a local server.
    If you need something else for internet I don't really know, but I though this method could work.
    (For me this is just a radio button to check in your project properties )

Maybe this link will help you :
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vis...n?view=vs-2019

Why not have the version number on a table and allow the app to check that it is the current version.

I think this is more complicated to do that , here we check directly in the deployment folder if the version has change. But this will do the job too I guess