dcsimg

Thread: Does adding images from a URL to a thread count against your VBForums data limit?

Question Does adding images from a URL to a thread count against your VBForums data limit?

I'm currently using 4.17 MB of my 9.54 MB uploadable limit on VBForums. If I add an image from a URL to a new thread, does that automatically get added to my list of files and images I've uploaded from my PC?

Re: Does adding images from a URL to a thread count against your VBForums data limit?

If you avoid clicking on the "Manage Attachments" link here you are good to go.

Just make sure you have all the appropriate permissions to link to the image.

Addicted Member

Re: Does adding images from a URL to a thread count against your VBForums data limit?

A limit to how many images we can upload?

What a stupid rule.

No wonder no one posts images. So we are just expected to run the code samples to see what it is? And what if it wont run? What do the controls look like?

To me an post with no image is not complete. And the image or animated gif is half the fun.

What, does it cost a dollar to add more storage?

When I reach then limit and cant post images I will find a new forum.

Addicted Member

I believe the Maximum Attachment Storage increases as your post count grows, so unless you're attaching huge images on every post you make, you probably don't need to worry about hitting the limit.

Here's what I do to avoid exceeding my attachment quota:

• For images, I choose the most efficient file format for the image in question. If the image is a screenshot or mostly contains text, lines and other graphics output, I'll save it as PNG. If the image is photographic in nature, I'll save it as JPG.

• When saving PNGs, I make sure they will have the smallest size possible by both reducing their color depth to 256 colors (8 BPP) and using PNG compression utilities such as PNGOUT (via IrfanView).

• When saving JPGs, I usually choose 85 for the quality.

• When uploading screenshots, I crop the image so that it contains just enough details (I never upload the entire screen unless it's necessary). I usually limit the width of my images to 600 pixels so that the forum software won't downsize them and convert crisp PNGs to blurry JPGs.

• For ZIP attachments, I ensure they are at the minimum size possible by including only the essential files and by using 7-Zip to compress them (7-Zip claims to have the best compression ratio for the ZIP format).

FYI, I'm "currently using (just) 1,005.8 KB to store 37 uploaded attachments."

Addicted Member

Victor,

I see, thanks.

My issue is also with animated gifs which I like to use as well. I really think in a lot of cases, I mostly do graphics and controls I guess, an animated gif just makes or breaks the post. Some questions are how to animate etc. If it involves a photo image then we quickly get to 1 mb which is where I think the max per post is on other forums and no limit. I suppose if someone is excessive then... but to me it really adds something.

Well I hope I have time to do all that work with the images as well as make them and write the answer.

And I hope the forum members still like to come around to post and see the images and sell advertising. Lets face it who reads?

Seems like something left from the 64k ram days.

Thanks for listening! Love the forum!