Thread: reportviewer or crystal report

Question reportviewer or crystal report

Hello everyone
    i am building an application using visual studio 2017
    this application must allow users to print a report that contains data from different tables in my database (for building the database I used the SQL SERVER 2008).
    The report must contain several pages and the number of pages is not static, it is related to the result of a query.
    For example: i have 3 tables 1." vehicule" 2. component 3. relation_vh_comp (relate between the two first table)
    i select first the vehicule-name from vehicule then according to that i select from the table "relation_vh_comp" all component related to this vehicule ( so if i have 4 component the number of my report's page must be 4 ) each page concern one component and is filled by selecting information from the table component
    as am a newbie in vb i don't know how to manifest . the googling lead me to crystal report and reportviewer but i don't know which one satisfied my needs and the easier
    so please if any one have an idea advice me it's urgent

thanks

Re: reportviewer or crystal report

That's not a direct either/or scenario. Crystal Reports is a thorough reporting system but it's third-party so you would have to pay for it. CR would include a report viewer control for displaying reports in applications. The ReportViewer control you're referring to is most like the one from Microsoft that is part of SQL Server Reporting Services, which is their competitor to CR. SSRS allows you to set up a report server that will process report data and then send it to an application for display, or you can add a client report directly to your application and then you can query your database like you would for any other data and pass it to your report for display in a ReportViewer. If you don't want to pay for a CR license, SSRS is probably the way to go, although there are other options for reporting too, some of which are free. You should do some reading on SSRS specifically and what you can do with client reports.

Re: reportviewer or crystal report

thank you jmcilhinney for replying,
    i will read on SSRS and i wish that i can make advancement
    Best regard