dcsimg

Thread: Just Upgraded to Visual Studio 2019

Android OpenGL ES Guru Jacob Roman's Avatar

Just Upgraded to Visual Studio 2019

And I don't know. I kinda like it. Only had it for two days so far. But Im not seeing too many differences between 2017. I agree theres a lot of new features and all, but nothing I would ever use like Xamarin for example. I mainly use it just to make C++ graphical style apps and once in a while for VB.Net or C#. Unity and Unreal Engine was a part of Visual Studio back in VS2017 so nothing new there. I dont know. What do you think?

Re: Just Upgraded to Visual Studio 2019

Miss the VS2017 start-up screen that had the news pane. Don't know if you can do this in VS2019 as haven't investigated it's settings yet. Anyone know?

Re C++. Our C++ code has been re-compiled OK in VS2019 (whew!) and the compiler seems a little faster.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.1.3)

Frenzied Member

How is it on resources and speed vs 2013 (or earlier)? Everyone said 2015 was a real dog. 2017 supposedly got a bit better but I've not had a reason to try it yet. If 2019 is better still in that regard then I'll give it a look.

Yeah, that's a big question for me, as well. However, I do intend to move that way for Core 3.0, if nothing else. 2015 was a dog, 2017 is sluggish, as well, though that may have something to do with the environments I run it in. It's the biggest complaint I have with the newer versions of VS.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

From all account they have done a bunch of Xamarin improvements so i will be taking a look, including a proper drag & drop screen editor and properties window, also improved build times although i worry less about that now i have automated my builds using Azure pipelines.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    From all account they have done a bunch of Xamarin improvements so i will be taking a look, including a proper drag & drop screen editor and properties window, also improved build times although i worry less about that now i have automated my builds using Azure pipelines.
    I like the sound of that... the designer and properties window aren't brilliant in VS 2017, and every time I use them I keep thinking how easy it should be to make them better.

I suspect the build times will still be long enough to go and make a coffee, so I probably wont notice the difference.

I suspect the build times will still be long enough to go and make a coffee, so I probably wont notice the difference.
    these are the metrics that they have published

Code:
    Step	Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8	Visual Studio 2019 Preview 2	Delta
    First Build	                01:04.20	       00:50.13	        -21.95%
    Incremental Build (XAML Change)	00:10.62	       00:07.47	        -29.66%
    Deploy (XAML Change)	        00:09.03	       00:04.44	        -50.83%
    So definitely an improvement but yeah for a clean or initial build you can still make a Coffee

What does sound nice is this -

Visual Studio will automatically analyze your app at project load, determine if you have the necessary Android SDK configuration to build, and offer to install those components for you to resolve any configuration conflicts.
    Android SDK installation is a pain, so anything that improves that has to be good.

They say they have also improved the Emulators again but i have stopped using Emulators at all and just debug direct on to Device which is significantly quicker for me.

Also i cant say enough how good Azure Pipelines + MS App Center is for creating builds and distributing them to both testers and to App Stores automatically for you.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Apr 9th, 2019 at 05:19 AM. Reason: changed Quote to Code tag, to preserve spaces
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Its why I continue to use Android Studio for my Android apps.

Its why I continue to use Android Studio for my Android apps.
    Which bit exactly ?

you would have to install the Android SDK's which ever IDE your using, VS 2019 will now basically do it for you.

Also Emulators are not VS specific and the performance rely's on your version of windows to some extent and not on any IDE

If you mean the build times then maybe you have a point (although i have no idea of the Android studio build times to be honest) however since i have automated my builds i dont really care too much about that anymore.

using automated builds and App center to distribute my app to testers and app stores is the single best thing i have done recently.

Microsoft have been Investing in the Xamarin tooling noticeably over the last year or so and it looks like VS 2019 has a bunch more improvements that i am looking forward to trying out.

I mainly use Oreo and Pie in my SDK with Android Studio. Hmmmm oreo pie....so hungry. Anyways I test the apps I make on both the emulator and my real devices. Once in awhile I do come across differences. But lately Ive been having a blast programming VR apps. Virtual Reality might soon take off in the near future not as a gimmick like how it was in 2016, but as a useful tool for many applications. Maybe even for websites as real virtual places rather than a fancy page with images and buttons. Virtual Real Estate is the future