dcsimg

Thread: Flow Chart with ability to hide large notes(comments)

Frenzied Member

Flow Chart with ability to hide large notes(comments)

There is one feature in flowcharts that I have never found (or has not been adequate enough) -
    The ability to attach a note to a shape.
    I would find this invaluable -
    - When documenting parts of our projects
    - When doing initial analysis
    - When attempting to debug older projects (when you are as old as I am, and memory is rs)

The note could be very large (nearly as big as the screen).
    It remains hidden until you mouse over an icon (or whatever).
    There would be an easy way to dismiss it (eg move the mouse top right).
    If you click in the exposed note, you can edit it.
    Does anyone know of software that can do that ?

I have searched for this ability for years,
    Rob

Sinecure devotee

Re: Flow Chart with ability to hide large notes(comments)

Well, I don't know what graphing programs you have tried.
    I have used almost none myself. I did use yEd a few years ago for some small diagramming task.
    So, I just downloaded the latest version on this machine to look at what it has available for adding notes to nodes.

It looks like it has essentially two options. There is a Description property, where you can type a fairly large note if you want. When you hover the mouse over the node, it pops up as a tool tip. If you move the mouse in small motions over the node once the note pops up, you can increase the time the tip stays up so you can read it.

The second option is a url link you can specify. So you could link to a web page, or a file on the disk, both absolute or relative path. If you specify a file, it will open in the associated application.

So, as a quick test, I just used notepad to create a text file, and set the url field of the node to link to it.
    If you select the node, and hit F8, notepad is launched and you can read and edit the file and resave it. I would close the file when done with it, because hitting F8 again on the same node will open multiple copies of the file, unless the editor associated with the file prevents that.

I don't know if that would suit your need, but its free so doesn't cost anything to try out.
    Name:  yEdExample.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  29.0 KB

Frenzied Member

Thanks passel,
    For taking the time and trouble to check that out.
    Couldn't install the latest version as they don't cater for XP (nor 32bit computers).
    The tooltip was not inspiring, particularly if the tooltip covered the node (thus preventing me twitching on that node)
    The URL could be a way to go, especially if I write my own text editor with autosave on exit, and perhaps having mouse movement top left to escape/save.
    One of the reviewers praised this feature (not sure if it is in the latest/old version 3.15.0.2) -
    'ability to group nodes and collapse/expand them. This makes it possible to capture much bigger graphs in a single file'
    That might prove interesting.

Thanks again,
    Rob
    Last edited by Bobbles; Mar 31st, 2019 at 12:26 AM.

Addicted Member

Check this link for flow charting software:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Language_tools

In particular Dia, but I am not sure that it does what you want. It's using GTK GUI Toolkit, which removed support for XP. Perhaps they are still using an older version that still supports XP.

Not on the list is Inkscape, which can do flow charts, but it's not its main purpose.

Frenzied Member

Hi Bobbles, have you tried RC5? Flowcharts can be easily drawn using RC5 Cario.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post5318283

In addition, perhaps the following information is useful to you:
    Flow Chart Designer

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreammanor View Post
    Hi Bobbles, have you tried RC5? Flowcharts can be easily drawn using RC5 Cario.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post5318283

In addition, perhaps the following information is useful to you:
    Flow Chart Designer
    Thanks dreammanor,
    If I could not get non VB6 software to do what I wanted, my fallback plan was to find some VB6 source code that was creating flowcharts, and enhance it to do what I have dreamt of for years.
    I will certainly check those out,
    Rob