dcsimg
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: [RESOLVED] vbRichClient error

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Hyperactive Member Daniel Duta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    341

    Resolved [RESOLVED] vbRichClient error

    After I installed Windows 10 and all components of RC5 in SysWOW64 I get each time a run-time error 429 : ActiveX component can't create object. Has anyone ever encountered such an error? Could it be related to other OS components? Thank you.
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Reed Kimble

  2. #2
    PowerPoster Arnoutdv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: vbRichClient error

    I use it vbRC5 on Windows 10 64bits, no problems.
    But, I did not install it. I have just put the content in a folder and use the DirectCOM.dll and the module provided by Olaf to instantiate the objects

  3. #3
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,359

    Re: vbRichClient error

    Did you register vbRichClient5.dll from an elevated command prompt using the regsvr32.exe that is in the SysWow64 folder?

    Did you also place the vb_cairo_sqlite.dll and DirectCOM.dll files in the SysWow64 folder?

  4. #4

    Thread Starter
    Hyperactive Member Daniel Duta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    341

    Re: vbRichClient error

    Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    Did you register vbRichClient5.dll from an elevated command prompt using the regsvr32.exe that is in the SysWow64 folder?

    Did you also place the vb_cairo_sqlite.dll and DirectCOM.dll files in the SysWow64 folder?
    Thank you both for your reply. Yes, I placed all libraries in the SysWow64 (latest version from Olaf's site) and I used cmd.exe as admin to register them. It is interesting that I am able in design mode to navigate inside them and I see the methods\functions but when I try to call something the above error does occur. I will try a bit later to reinstall everything maybe I have more luck.
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Reed Kimble

  5. #5
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,359

    Re: vbRichClient error

    Was the command prompt run elevated/as an administrator, and did the regsvr32 call succeed?

    Also, you mention that you can browse the methods and functions, but calls fail. Can you give a source code example of a failing call?

  6. #6

    Thread Starter
    Hyperactive Member Daniel Duta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    341

    Re: vbRichClient error

    Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    Was the command prompt run elevated/as an administrator, and did the regsvr32 call succeed?

    Also, you mention that you can browse the methods and functions, but calls fail. Can you give a source code example of a failing call?
    Yes, I run the command prompt as admin and of course I called regsvr32 /s C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vbRichClient5.dll. The same for vbWidgets.dll.
    The function that failed is:
    Code:
    mailBody = New_c.FSO.ReadTextContent(inFile) 'read the source-file
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Reed Kimble

  7. #7
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,359

    Re: vbRichClient error

    Unfortunately I'm stumped...sounds like something went wrong the with registration, but I'm not sure what it would be. My primary development environment is Win10 64-Bit and I've had no problems using RC5 at all, so I don't think the problem lies there.

  8. #8

    Thread Starter
    Hyperactive Member Daniel Duta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    341

    Re: vbRichClient error

    I have uninstalled both libraries successfully (I received the pop-up message) but I have noticed that after the second re-installation no pop-up message occurred... And this lack of a successful notification seems to be a phenomenon for any other ocx/dll file. A bit unusual to me. However, I found it surprising that this time both libraries can be called properly. Thank you.
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Reed Kimble

  9. #9
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,376

    Re: vbRichClient error

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Duta View Post
    I have uninstalled both libraries successfully (I received the pop-up message) but -
    I have noticed that after the second re-installation no pop-up message occurred...
    And this lack of a successful notification seems to be a phenomenon for any other ocx/dll file.
    That's IMO, what the /s (silent) parameter ensures in the regsvr32-call...
    Just leave it out (call it wihout any commandline-switches) - and you should see a Message-Prompt again,
    which informs you about a succeeding or failing regsvr32 call...

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Duta View Post
    However, I found it surprising that this time both libraries can be called properly. Thank you.
    Good to know, that it worked the second time...

    Perhaps something went wrong at the first install (or register-)attempt.
    As jpbro pointed out - the 3 Dlls always need to "exist together" (side-by-side) in any given install- or deployment-folder.
    And that "Filecopy-success of the 3 Base-Dlls into a common folder" has to be ensured also in a Setup-Program -
    (if you'd use such things for deployment), *before* you should attempt a registering (using regsvr32 or whatever the setup-script offers for that).

    Mabye that was, what went wrong in your first attempt...
    - e.g. when you copy *only* the vbRichClient5.dll to some folder
    - then make the regsvr32-call against it
    - and only after that you'd copy the vb_cairo_sqlite.dll and DirectCOM.dll into the same destination
    - then you might (or probably will) ending up with a failed or incomplete registration

    Another reason might be, that you forgot to run the command-console as an (Admin-)elevated one -
    or used the wrong one from \System32 (instead of SysWOW64).

    Olaf

  10. #10

    Thread Starter
    Hyperactive Member Daniel Duta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    341

    Re: vbRichClient error

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Mabye that was, what went wrong in your first attempt...
    - e.g. when you copy *only* the vbRichClient5.dll to some folder
    - then make the regsvr32-call against it
    - and only after that you'd copy the vb_cairo_sqlite.dll and DirectCOM.dll into the same destination
    - then you might (or probably will) ending up with a failed or incomplete registration
    Olaf
    Yes, Olaf, most likely I fell into that error...At first step I noticed that my app screams for vbRichClient5.dll and I registered it manually in the system folder just to test if it is seen in the References list.
    Once I checked this, I continued to copy and install the others one by one... Regarding regsvr32 simply I forgot that parameter "s" stands for silent.. Thank you for your comment.
    "VB code is practically pseudocode" - Tanner Helland
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - Reed Kimble

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width