dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Exit function vs Return and stack overflow issue?

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Exit function vs Return and stack overflow issue?

Hello,

Code 1:
    Public Function ABC() as Boolean
    ABC=True
    Exit function
    End Function

Code 2:
    Public Function ABC() as Boolean
    Return True
    End Function

Question:
    I know that using "Exit function" causes stack overflow due to abnormal exit from the function. When you call such a function (code 1) many times you get stack overflow error message because residual allocations resides in stack region of memory.

What about return from a function (Code 2). Is this legal exit from the function? Does it also cause stack overflow when it is called enough times?

Thank you.

Fanatic Member

Re: Exit function vs Return and stack overflow issue?

This has nothing to do with stack overflow. The first example is the clumsy way of returning a function result that is compatible with VB6. The second, using 'Return' is what everyone in this century should be doing.
    David Anton
    Convert between VB, C#, C++, & Java
    www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com

I had never heard that the first causes a stack overflow, and don't see why that would be the case. When the function exits, the stack frame should be cleared up. That may be because this is a simple example. You CAN get stack overflows if you aren't just exiting the function, so you may have encountered that in a similar, though slightly and significantly different fashion, where one function called to another rather than exiting.

Otherwise, I agree with what David said: The first version is how VB6 handled function returns. The second version is the way pretty nearly EVERY other language handles function returns.

EDIT: Just to try that out, I called the function you said would cause a stack overflow in a loop about 84 billion times (at which point I got bored and quit), and never got a stack overflow. This system has 8 GB of RAM, so even if it was leaving only a byte each time on the stack, I would have exhausted the memory 10 times over. So, that will NOT cause a stack overflow the way it is written.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Mar 17th, 2019 at 10:42 AM.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Lively Member

Thank you for clarification.