dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Missing dialog in SSMS when creating index

Resolved [RESOLVED] Missing dialog in SSMS when creating index

I've been reading several tutorials on MS SQL indexes and I seem to be missing the dialog box apparent in most tutorials like this one. When I create a new index, it generates a SQL query. How do I get the dialog box like in this tutorial?

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17289.0

Re: Missing dialog in SSMS when creating index

I don't have the version of SSMS that you do but on both 11.0 and 17.9 I get that same dialogue when I right-click the Index node of a database and select New Index > Non-Clustered Index. Personally, I usually add indexes by opening the table in Design mode, then clicking Manage Key & Indexes on the toolbar. I guess I am used to doing it that way because I usually do it when I'm first creating the table.

By the way, I would recommend installing the latest version of SSMS from here if you can. It's a standalone install and works perfectly well for old and new versions of SQL Server.

#28 for the Yanks coming GaryMazzone's Avatar

Personally I never use the GUI for creating my indexes, I just write the SQL statement on my own, I think it is easier for me to understand what I am doing that way
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

Quote Originally Posted by GaryMazzone View Post
    Personally I never use the GUI for creating my indexes, I just write the SQL statement on my own, I think it is easier for me to understand what I am doing that way
    I won't say I never use the GUI... but I rarely use it... I think it comes from both my background, which pre-dates a lot of these nice GUIs, and from the fact that nearly every environment I've worked in has required me to include SQL scripts of some kind for any DB work, additions, changes, etc., to be checked into source control, so 90% of the time I already have the table's .SQL file already open and just add the index part of the script to it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

#28 for the Yanks coming GaryMazzone's Avatar

I guess that is true... I started this stuff in the mid 70's and really heavily in the 80's before there were GUI's for everything. I just had to do everything at the command line interfaces (back to DBase and Oracle 6 and 7). And as you said we need the SQL statements stored in source control anyway so I just do it there and save the scripts
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

I got into looking at some of the scripts and shortly realized it was pretty simple to write them myself without the GUI interface. I agree and that I would rather just write the script myself. Thanks for all the help.
    For the record, I never did find the gooey. Even after upgrading. I must have something disabled. But it's not important now.