dcsimg

Thread: Way to hide MDI forms until all loaded?

Way to hide MDI forms until all loaded?

I'm wondering of a way to hide the slow load (and this happens on a fast computer but the video capture software I used seems to have slowed things down a bit). A rather large file is loaded just before I .show the various forms

http://ah6le.net/rcpload.mov

Re: Way to hide MDI forms until all loaded?

In the old days, we would create a splash screen and show that until the MDI was ready
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Actually I have a splash screen that appears for 5 seconds before the main form does. But that won't work to hide the MDIform load as one needs access to the GUI in order to load the file in (as my video shows)

So to understand this better. It's not the MDI that you want to hide, it's one of the forms opened by your menu? Not understanding the scenario completely, obviously. In your video, I'm guessing that the menu bar is on the MDI? And that form that takes forever to load is a MDI child?

In any case, you can load a form without showing it: Load Form1. Before exiting the Form_Load event of Form1, add Me.Show.

I think maybe more details might be helpful

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

The main form is a MDI and each tab calls a different form. And each form is populated by entries in a loaded data file. What the video shows is each of the forms as I ".show" each one after the entire data file is loaded. So I assume the issue is that of actually drawing the forms?

fShowForms routine you provided in your video? If so, try it.

Instead of Analog.Show, use Load Analog. Then in Form_Load of Analog, add Me.Show before the End Sub statement. Do this for all of your forms or only for the forms that take a long time to fully load. The idea is that if a form is fully loaded before it is shown, then it should paint fairly quickly. Another option is to delay populating your controls on the slow-loading form ... something like this

1. Take all your code from the Form_Load and add it to a subroutine, let's call it InitialzeControls
    2. Then add a timer to the form, set its Interval=0 and Enabled=True
    3. In the form's Load event..
    Code:
    Me.Show
    DoEvents
    Timer1.Interval = 20
    5. The Timer1_Timer event would simply be:
    Code:
    Timer1.Enabled = False
    IntializeControls

I've tried the first idea (Load Analog, etc) and that doesn't seem to make a difference. I will try your 2nd idea and let you know but I won't have a chance until a little later. Thanks for the help!

Addicted Member

MDI load is so fast that often I have to let the splash stay a little bit longer after MDI has already appeared (on top of MDI of course).

In your case, would you like to try adding a "DoEvents" (in the Form called for)?

Interesting change in behavior adding DoEvents

http://www.ah6le.net/rcpload2.mov

Well...the cure seems to be the easiest - don't load all the forms at start up. Loading each form for the first time only takes a second or two. And that occurs only the first time a different tab is selected. I can post a video if needed but I wanted to say thanks to those who offered their ideas!