dcsimg

Thread: Announcing the Open Sourcing of Windows Calculator

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Announcing the Open Sourcing of Windows Calculator

Quote from here

Today, we’re excited to announce that we are open sourcing Windows Calculator on GitHub under the MIT License. This includes the source code, build system, unit tests, and product roadmap. Our goal is to build an even better user experience in partnership with the community. We are encouraging your fresh perspectives and increased participation to help define the future of Calculator.

Re: Announcing the Open Sourcing of Windows Calculator

I intend to take a look. I'm not sure whether I will or will be able to contribute anything useful but just seeing the existing code should provide some insight into the way Microsoft do their development.

PowerPoster

I suspect this is an experiment.

It sounds like it differs from most of their prior open-sourcing in that it may accept outside contributions that could be applied to the shipping version. Perhaps Microsoft is trying to test the concept of crowd-sourcing changes to some of their software.

Note that the GitHub text refers to the calculator being written in C++. This is not strictly true. It is written in C++/cli which is MS's version of c++ that allows unmanaged c++ to use the managed .net framework and Universal Windows Platform development.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.3.9)