dcsimg

Thread: Webserver Temp Folder Substitute

Webserver Temp Folder Substitute

So I was using the Path.GetTempFileName() function to generate a temp file for writing to before moving to the webserver. Works fine locally because I have permissions to the temp directory but when published the webserver blocks or have very restrictive permissions to its temp directory. Sure its a security reason but question: what would be a good alternative for generating temp files on the server that customers using the website would have read/write access to?

Im thinking that generating a guid in a folder they should have access too should help eliminate any naming collisions of the file name as an initial workaround.

Any issues with that or better solutions?

Thansk
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Re: Webserver Temp Folder Substitute

Just found Path.GetRandomFileName(). Appears to be good for generating the random file name and the documentation states its preferred over GetTempFileName BUT how well does it randomize? Chances of generating a duplicate file name that the user may have already generated or another user?
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Fanatic Member

Looks like it uses 8.3 with (0-9 + a-z) for each character, so 36^11 possible file names. That's an 18 digit number...I think you'll be fine.

Edit - and you could always add additional randomly generated digits to the front of the filename returned by GetRandomFileName to ensure no duplicates in the remaining lifetime of the universe.

Edit2 - or you could add a formatted date/timestamp to the front of the filename which would mean that two files would have to be generated in the same millisecond with the exact same randomly chosen filename from GetRandomFileName in order to collide.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Mar 8th, 2019 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks!

I think if I use Guid.NewGuid.ToString() it will be even better and I wont have to write that extra line of code to determine the file extension as I will be setting it

Any other options out there?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

My web users all get a GUID upon initial login to the site - and whenever I serve up a file for download or viewing I put it in a folder named as that GUID.

The filenames are all pretty names - so they can print and download.

Why do you want a random filename?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I went with guids. Im needing a random file name as I generate it from a template file. Once its generated and saved it moved to its proper folder location and name is changed to its proper name. I have a Document table with Path and Name but teh file ends up getting renamed to the documentid yet the "Name" remains the same si I can have several documents as "Document.docx", for ex, in teh table yet in the folder they are all named by DocumentID table index identifier.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011