Thread: "Mark as the solution" option

"Mark as the solution" option

Sometimes the forum topics get a little long, etc. So it would be nice to have a feature where the post opener can mark the solution that worked for them, this is similar in other forums a little more modern of course but it still could be possible here I am sure.
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Re: "Mark as the solution" option

Course we already have the "Mark this thread Resolved" option... Site staff members can also use that one...

Getting the OP to say THANKS - jdc20181's reply is the one that worked - And or creating a button to auto post that - requires the OP to actually do it.... That, we can't control.

You as a member here that might want to know can always post in the thread and ask the OP - and or you can send them a PM.

Or, you can try everything. On StackOverflow you see upvotes and downvotes. In general, the most upvoted answer is the best one, but other answers are often also useful. So, do you say "this one is the ONLY one", or are you accepting of a more nuanced set of answers? Different people will answer that differently and in different situations.

The great advantage of VBF over SO is the conversational nature of problem solving. There isn't one answer without context, there's often a process of getting to an answer.

Besides, loads of people don't say what, if anything, worked already, so it's unlikely that they would necessarily indicate much of anything if given the opportunity.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Thanks for the reply I mean a “Mark this reply as the answer” option. We can mark them as resolved yes but sometimes they get a bit long making it easier to say hey here’s the solution at the start.
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

PowerPoster

Usually a solution in thread that marked as resolved is the last one (if there are more one), because OP continue asking until he get the answer he want.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I have thought that a "mark this as answer" function would be useful but it's not a deal breaker. I think it works well on the MS forums. The only downside is that the mods over there seem to take the view that every question must have a single correct answer so they rabidly mark some answer (usually their own) as correct even when it isn't.

I suspect it would involve considerable development of the forum software, though, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I'd be happy if I didn't have to immediately go back and delete the second copy of this post.

Actually, I'm pretty happy anyways. If that's the worst I have to deal with....it ain't much.

EDIT: Yep, had to delete the duplicate.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing