Thread: [RESOLVED] Build - Copy files

Resolved [RESOLVED] Build - Copy files

For years I have performed the following steps when testing .DLL's

1. Open the .DLL project being tested (e.g. dbCommonLRX.dll)
    2. Create a forms app with a button. and a reference to the .DLL
    3. --
    4. In the button click add enough code to test the .DLL
    5. Run the app. Examine results. Close the app
    6. --
    7. for arguments sake the .DLL had to be fixed
    8. switch to the .DLL project, make changes and rebuild
    9. Continue steps 5 - 8 until results are correct

Today I get errors(see below) at step 8 when building the .DLL. If I close the app I don't get errors.

Errors fron .DLL build:

Could not copy "obj\Release\dbCommonLRX.dll" to "bin\Release\dbCommonLRX.dll". Exceeded retry count of 10. Failed. dbCommonLRX

Unable to copy file "obj\Release\dbCommonLRX.dll" to "bin\Release\dbCommonLRX.dll". The process cannot access the file 'bin\Release\dbCommonLRX.dll' because it is being used by another process. dbCommonLRX

We were off Tuesday. On Monday the above worked.

I have restarted my PC to no avail. I am just at a loss why this started happening.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

King of sapila

Re: Build - Copy files

I'm not sure what you mean by:
    If you somehow open the dll then it will be used and get that error. I guess you mean something else.
    Is this a C++ dll or a .net dll? You are using dllimport? Maybe that somehow blocks the whole process.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

I've followed those steps MANY times, without encountering the specific error you are seeing. Have you tried wiping out the Obj and Bin folders for the dll? That has never solved anything for me, but it's SO easy to do that it's worth a try. I'd say that something just got 'confused', and deleting those two folders is the software equivalent of whacking the monitor: It likely won't help, but it feels good.

EDIT: I should add that while I haven't gotten that particular error, working with a dll in one project and the main app in another, which I do frequently for a plugin system, does have a tendency to get things out of sync. However, restarting VS has always been sufficient to fix things, for me, and those were errors between the two projects, whereas you are talking about an error within a single project.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

Some things.
    Don't have Visual Studio here so I can't remember the etymology. There is some options on the debug menu that will clear the solution and refresh it - rebuild it. I can't remember their names.
    Also what happens if you try with debug instead of release?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by:
    If you somehow open the dll then it will be used and get that error. I guess you mean something else.
    Is this a C++ dll or a .net dll? You are using dllimport? Maybe that somehow blocks the whole process.
    I have the test app project open and the .DLL project open.

I have tried deleting the obj and bin files, restarted VS, my PC. None of this works.

I don't recall making any changes to any options, and I'm old and who knows...
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    I have the test app project open and the .DLL project open.

I have tried deleting the obj and bin files, restarted VS, my PC. None of this works.

I don't recall making any changes to any options, and I'm old and who knows...
    I also tried Repairing Visual Studio.

This may be relevant....or at least easy to try:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...lstudiogeneral
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    This may be relevant....or at least easy to try:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...lstudiogeneral
    I have tried most of those, except for modifying the prebuild.

Usually when I'm working on a setup like that, I'll put the two projects into the same solution ... then from the app side - which is usually only a test harness app anyways - Add Reference... but then instead of referencing the DLL directly, I create a project reference. The only time then when I get problems is if I stop the project, make a change and then hit Run again too quickly and the IDE doesn't keep up. But for 99% of the time, it works.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *